APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Motion render with alpha channel

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Larry Watts
Motion render with alpha channel
on Apr 15, 2011 at 4:52:33 pm

One of my editors told me had about 8 hours extra time on a half hour TV program due to the fact that he forgot to use the pro res 4444 codec. (He had used pro res 422. He said the 422 won't render with an alpha channel to do a simple lower third of animated graphic with text.

My first thought was that something is wrong with this picture. Surely a simple lower third does not require pre res 4444. I'm a bit rusty on motion, so I'm asking here for some insight.

We need to find the fastest, most efficient workflow, to edit programs in FCP and add lower thirds. We usually animate the text and use a digital juice lower third animated QT movie.

We also add Scripture references quite often so we need to have a smooth workflow.

At this point we sometimes roundtrip from the motion tab in FCP to motion, and sometimes we create a motion project and import it, and most often we do a motion project and render out a QTM with alpha.

Any thoughts?

THanks

Larry

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
Re: Motion render with alpha channel
on Apr 15, 2011 at 4:59:28 pm

If you are going to render a movie with alpha, you need to use a codec that supports an alpha channel. ProRes 422 does not. ProRes 4444 does. That's what the extra "4" is for.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Andrew Wilson
on Apr 18, 2011 at 3:09:08 am

I would create the lower-third in Motion and then save it as a template with drop zones for the text fields.

Be sure to save your template in the right directory so it shows up in your drop down menu in the viewer in FCP.

Then edit the template into a FCP sequence. You can just edit your text right inside FCP for the lower-thirds.

You don't need to render from Motion that way.

Otherwise, yes, you do need to render with an alpha channel. Either Animation with Millions+ colors or PR 4444.

Andrew Wilson
WestView Digital Video & Design
http://www.westviewdigital.com

Return to posts index

Praveen Nu
on Apr 18, 2011 at 5:43:20 pm

Will QT (PNG, Millions of Colors+) work for u?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]