APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Constraining appearance of layers with CMD key

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Mendelsohn
Constraining appearance of layers with CMD key
on Apr 14, 2011 at 8:55:41 pm

I watched a tutorial in which the instructor created a clip in which the camera seemed to be traveling backward through multiple layers (created in Photoshop, by the way). To do this, he split the screen into two views. The perspective view showed the distance in Z-space he was creating between the various layers. Using the CMD key as he dragged the various layers back in Z-space kept them looking identical in the active camera view; they enlarged proportionately to compensate for their greater distance from the camera. Looked easy enough in the tutorial, but it seems not to work in real life. Anybody know why?

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
Re: Constraining appearance of layers with CMD key
on Apr 14, 2011 at 9:57:10 pm

1) The Active Camera view needs to be the selected view (yellow band around it)

2) You need to be dragging on the first Move icon in the HUD with the command key

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

John Mendelsohn
on Apr 18, 2011 at 4:56:17 pm

I've done as you suggested, Mark. The perceived (in the active camera view) of the various layers remain constant, but they're moving all over the place. As I recall, in your tutorial only two elements near the center moved. Everything's moving here in New York's Hudson Valley. Grr.

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Apr 18, 2011 at 3:51:15 pm

Your Z space adjustment on the HUD ought to switch to Z+Scale when you use the CMD key. And you must adjust this on the HUD to take advantage of it.
If it's not doing that, then no, it won't work. I have had times where it does (and then later) doesn't function. Mark probably knows why.
It works best when objects origin are at the center of the composition.

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer | Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC | Adobe Cert. Instructor
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
Come See me speak at NAB!
Compressor Essentials from Lynda.com
(older but still good) Marquee, Media Composer (3.5) and Basic/Advanced Color DVDs (1.0) from Vasst.com
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

John Mendelsohn
on Apr 18, 2011 at 4:56:14 pm

Many thanks, Jeff. I still can't get it to work. Grr.

Return to posts index

Jim Nelson
on Dec 6, 2011 at 5:45:43 pm

John,

Did you ever figure this out? I've saved Mark's tutorial and have gotten it to work for me three times but, every single time I go to do it I forgot how I finally got it to work. It's so frustrating because, as mentioned above, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

BTW I am working with a 1280x720 photoshop file and a 1280x720 motion document, in Active view, and using the HUD Z-space adjustment while holding the Command key. My HUD is also set for Local Axis.

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on Dec 6, 2011 at 7:28:07 pm

Make sure the project size and main graphics size are the same (e.g. 1280x720) and also move the anchor points of all layers to the center of the Canvas.

--
Mark Spencer

Return to posts index

Jim Nelson
on Dec 8, 2011 at 6:21:42 pm

Thanks for your reply Mark. I finally got it to work. I did anchor everything to the center and had completed my PS work on a 1280x720 canvas but, that hadn't solved it. What did solve it (which doesn't make sense to me) was deleting my camera and adding a new one. I got hung up on this problem several more times throughout my day and deleting the cam worked every time.

I must be selecting something that turns off that scaling function. The Z-space box in the HUD turns into a box with arrows pointing up, down, left, and right when it works and even when it does not. So, it's all still a mystery to me but, I found an easy solution and I guess that's all that matters!

Thanks for replying. I have your Apple PT book on Motion 4. It is awesome. I still use it all the time as reference.

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on Dec 8, 2011 at 7:10:14 pm

Jim, that sounds like a bug. Really glad you worked it out - I wouldn't have thought of deleting the camera, I'll keep that one in mind!

--
Mark Spencer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]