APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Logo orbit around sphere - Can't get "snap to" to orient properly

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Craven
Logo orbit around sphere - Can't get "snap to" to orient properly
on Apr 8, 2011 at 2:00:52 am

Howdy,
I have a sphere that I want a company logo to orbit around. I've made that happen, but I want the logo to always face away from the sphere. No matter what settings I use in the 'Snap Alignment to Motion' behavior, I can't seem to get the logo in the proper orientation. Am I missing something simple? I've attached the simple project file. Can someone please enlighten me?
Thanks,
Mike

Project File
2163_logoorbit.zip

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
Re: Logo orbit around sphere - Can't get "snap to" to orient properly
on Apr 8, 2011 at 2:33:00 am

Your problem has to do with trying to align motion with the motion path behavior. What I would do is remove that behavior and adjust the anchor point of your logo layer so that it matches the anchor point of your circle layer. Then just apply a spin behavior to the logo, or else apply a rate or ramp behavior to your logo's Y rotation.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

Michael Craven
on Apr 8, 2011 at 2:53:15 am

Ahh, so simple. Thank you so much!

Return to posts index

Don Smith
on Apr 8, 2011 at 12:05:24 pm

I did something similar in response to a challenge here to make 3D text circle a globe. Since Motion is not a true 3D environment and only follows layer order, as Andy and Mark 'splained to me, you can't put a globe in the middle of circling text. So, I developed a workaround. Still couldn't achieve true 3D text but I got close as you'll see in this video at http://newsvideo.com/globe.mov

It's been a while but I remember that I got the text to move along a circle path in the proper orientation by using the Link parameter from text on its side to text standing up while moving along a curved path. I had to because you can't get text to curve standing up along a path. So I created a circle path with the text moving on it's side and then Link'ed that movement to visible text to make IT curve standing up. As for the text going behind the globe, well, that's just the circle text layer copied with the copy going behind the circle.

Don Smith
NewsVideo.com

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Apr 8, 2011 at 3:59:39 pm

Actually Don, that's not exactly what I or Mark would have said. Motion is not a 3d modeler which means it can't create true 3d objects. But it IS a true 3d environment for 2D shapes. And layers DO obey relative XYZ position in 3D space. They only resort to layer order when the group is set to 2D or when a layer's rasterization forces it.

The OPs particular case is one where layers need to obey XYZ position.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]