APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Lower Third Blur (for template useage)

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Carus
Lower Third Blur (for template useage)
on Apr 7, 2011 at 1:01:20 am

Hi there,

I've come up against a slight problem that I'm hoping you guys will be able to help me with. I'm trying to create a lower third template within Motion 4, so that I can use it easily within FCP. The template I would like to create would blur the video layers beneath it in a specific area, below the text, unfortunately, I can't find a way to achieve this.

Masking appears to mask the entirety of the layers beneath, rather than just the blur effect, and I can't for the life of me figure out how to get a localised blur!

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
Re: Lower Third Blur (for template useage)
on Apr 8, 2011 at 12:21:48 am

The difficulty is in the fact that you want to achieve this for a template. Effects inside Motion can't be applied to layers inside FCP simply by placing the motion project in the timeline over your clip. This is why transparency surrounding lens flares becomes problematic when trying to use them in templates.

The only way I can think of to do this, is to create a drop zone in your template, clone it, mask and blur the clone. Then in FCP you can drop your source clip into the drop zone and it should work.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

James Carus
on Apr 8, 2011 at 1:01:02 am

Ok, that could work if I get you right!

So if you clone a drop zone, I presume you only need to drop the video in once, and it adds it to both zones.

I would guess you'd then add the transitions of the lower third into the motion document, so that you end up with a clean video frame that you match up to your next section of video in FCP?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Apr 8, 2011 at 1:51:03 am

Correct. Sounds like you got it. And you're also correct about a cloned drop zone. If you place a video in the drop zone, then it will automatically appear in the clone.

andy

Return to posts index

James Carus
on Apr 8, 2011 at 1:53:51 am

Ok, I guess I'll look into that as an option then, whereabouts is the clone tool? Still fairly new to the program!

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Apr 8, 2011 at 2:00:35 am

K on the keyboard to clone the selected layer.

Andy

Return to posts index

James Carus
on Apr 8, 2011 at 2:01:24 am

Ta, I'll have a play around with that.

Thanks again for the help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]