APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Beach ball HANG!!!

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dan gala
Beach ball HANG!!!
on Apr 2, 2011 at 10:03:09 pm

ok, i was flying along just fine with many layers and lots of filters then BAM! every thing i do makes motion hang anywhere from 30sec to 2 minutes!! i tick a box "beach ball" i advance forward or backward a frame, "beach ball" , sometimes i can advance frame by frame and it will move in the timeline but not in the canvas....now, i have done enough reading here and everywhere to know that this does happen and ive tried everything that was suggested, lower render quality, close all windows, clear ram preview, turn off layers and filters, turn off auto save etc.

so now im down to one layer, just one layer!! with no filters (what fun is that?), saved project, quit then re open project and i get a hang just by playing the one and only layer with NO filters!! ??????

WHY? why does it work just fine then after time it becomes unusable, it was working fine all week, what tips the scale to make it do this??? is it my computer? is it the software???

is there a convenient way to rebuild my comp in a fresh new motion session??

macbook pro 2.66 GHz intel core i7 4GB OSX 10.6.5 motion 4.0.3 800 external.

Return to posts index

zak peric
Re: Beach ball HANG!!!
on Apr 3, 2011 at 7:05:23 am

First of all. Have you deleted your motion preferences, if not do that as it seems to fix quite a lot of issues in Motion. `go to preferences and locate motion preferences and delete please. Second question about your file layered psd. is it RGB or CMYK. Must be RGB also look at the bit depth some people work on 16 which is not correct, must be 8 bit.

Give this a go an let me know.

Return to posts index

dan gala
on Apr 3, 2011 at 5:45:49 pm

hey Zak.

YES! i trashed "com.apple.motion.plist", i stated i tried everything (too much to list) everything as in, all the usual stuff that is. in less there are some deep hidden technics to turn stuff on or off, i did everything that i have read to do but uninstall then reinstall motion or get a faster system....and i didn't say anything about photoshop docs. either but i guess i didn't expelling my work flow either. so here it is:

i start with 1 625.6MB QT file clip (DV/DVCPRO 720*480 29.97).

i duplicated it 8 times and put them in their own groups (layers) "see jpeg in link"

http://f1.creativecow.net/file/1828/1828_motion.jpg.zip

the first layer i desaturate for a B/W layer and the other layers i mask out on top of the B/W layer for the separate sections of colored graffiti for the "pleasant vill" effect.

then i (frame by frame) "rotoscope"? my way thru the whole clip to make the mask follow the section of graffiti.....please don't sagest to "key" the colors out, i tried but that stuff is way over my head, so this is the only way i know how to achieve the results i want.

so i guess this would be taxing on my system but my questions is: why does it do fine at first, it was flying along and playing everything back really nicely and the BAM it hit a brick wall and now i can even make any changes without beach ball.....and even turning all the groups that are not being worked on off doesn't help, its if the session floods the "VRAM"? upon opening it.....excuse my ignorant descriptions, im not very video savvy, this is my first year at it, i have an audio background and this is all new to me.

should i perhaps not be referencing one video clip? Should i make 8 separate QT files to be referenced?

im going to do some more experimentation today to see if a few things will help but for now (for me) motion is unusable!

thanks in advance to anyone that can help

dan

Return to posts index

Gareth Randall
on Apr 4, 2011 at 5:21:21 am

Hi Dan,

It's not what you want to hear, but I've experienced Motion suddenly turning snarky on me several times. It's always when I'm deep inside a project, usually just as I start to think "I've nearly finished".

Some problems are traceable and fixable, such as paint strokes suddenly not rendering any more - somehow, the Shape Style on the strokes gets deselected (and not through operator error) and you have to go back and reselect it.

Another fixable problem is the video suddenly starting to render with major artefacts. The solution here is to paste all your groups into a new project.

Other problems are just unfixable, such as Motion rendering at quarter-res Draft quality even though you've got everything forcing it to full res Normal or Best.

Just for the record, it's a bit of a mantra of mine, but trashing the prefs has NEVER fixed any problem I've had in Motion, ever. I'll try it every time, but it NEVER makes any difference.

I've occasionally wondered if the spec of the machine makes any difference to Motion's stability, since some people never seem to have any problems. I do all my work on a 2006 MacBook Pro 2.16GHz, which maxes out at 2Gb RAM and 256Mb graphics and my OS and software are always up-to-date, so maybe Motion really prefers significantly more RAM? The beefiest possible graphics card is obviously a huge consideration, given the way Motion works.

Return to posts index

dan gala
on Apr 4, 2011 at 5:57:40 am

Hey Gareth

turning snarky on me several times. It's always when I'm deep inside a project, usually just as I start to think "I've nearly finished".

YES!!! i hate that!!! i thought maybe i was asking to much of the program but then why would it run fine for awhile then hit the brick wall and then when scaling back on filters and unchecking groups/layers it doesn't let up on any of the vram or ram, even when saving the project and re opening it with less stuff checked, one would expect it to give you back some ram power, which makes me believe somethings funky. at least i know its not all just me....i did some extensive experimenting today and nothing made it work any better, i played around with the temp stuff provided with the program and it worked fine (but wont be using any of that stuff in my work so its useless to me)....i did copy and pasted elements into a new session and started from scratch but it didn't take long for it to start choking again even faster then the time before when i had a lot of stuff going on at once, so i know it can handle what i threw at it (for a day) but them just decides to take a dump...it just doesn't seem to get along with my DV NSTC stuff (frustrating and disappointing)......im no expert but i think its buggy, for me anyways.

I've occasionally wondered if the spec of the machine makes any difference to Motion's stability, since some people never seem to have any problems.

i was going to ask what power machines others where using, perhaps the book pro just doesn't cut it.... Going to do a complete OS and software install tomorrow (its time anyway) just to see.

thanks

Return to posts index

dan gala
on Apr 4, 2011 at 6:16:13 am

"Other problems are just unfixable, such as Motion rendering at quarter-res Draft quality even though you've got everything forcing it to full res Normal or Best."

ahhh i don't like this!!!! i haven't rendered anything from motion yet, does it do this all the time and for everyone?? i know that normal is better then "best" but i didn't know it was going to render it at "draft" quality!!!!

if i brought a motion session into FCP can i render it there at a better quality??

Return to posts index

Gareth Randall
on Apr 4, 2011 at 7:08:54 am

Oops, I should have been more specific ;)

No, it doesn't do it all the time, fortunately. It's a bug that I've experienced a few times, but not often. Ditto the one where it takes minutes to render each frame during export, for no apparent reason because it's not doing anything complicated.

A related bug is detailed in a post I made a day or two back, where Best mode ends up looking terrible and Normal looks fine. The really weird (and annoying) thing is that only one short part of my project is affected by that bug; if I render the whole movie at Best it all comes out looking like Best apart from that one 2- or 3-second segment in the middle.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]