APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Codec confusion - what's best for a 1080p25 project on a laptop?

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gareth RandallCodec confusion - what's best for a 1080p25 project on a laptop?
by on Mar 28, 2011 at 12:07:06 pm

I'm about to start the 1080p project I posted about a couple of weeks back, and I'd appreciate any suggestions as to which project setting would be best in terms of both final picture quality and optimal workflow speed, given that I have no choice but to work on a first-gen MacBook Pro.

The project, a short film, was shot as 1080p25 on a Canon 5D and is being posted on Avid at 1080p. I'm just doing some motion graphics design for them, so I'm not working with any actual footage, only text, textures, still images etc. I'll be sending them the work as QuickTimes for them to drop into their timeline and the final mastering format will be HDCAM tape, for projection at festivals etc.

In the list of project presets there are various 1080p25 options - HDV, DVCProHD, and three slightly different XDCAM ones. Which is the best for me? Or should I just ignore them all and set up a custom 1920x1080 25p one?

I was also wondering what I should do with the bit depth. My graphics will feature gradients, and I obviously don't want any banding or other artefacts to leap out when projected on a large screen. Is it important that I should work in 32-bit float (with the inevitable extra performance hit) or can I get away with 8 bits for HDCAM?

Return to posts index

Noah KadnerRe: Codec confusion - what's best for a 1080p25 project on a laptop?
by on Mar 29, 2011 at 3:31:23 pm

I'd make a custom template and send Animation or ProRes HQ codec QuickTimes. Every other one you mentioned is sub-optimal for what you're doing.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon 5D Mark II and 7D.

Return to posts index

Gareth RandallRe: Codec confusion - what's best for a 1080p25 project on a laptop?
by on Mar 29, 2011 at 7:15:36 pm

Cool, thanks for that. The Animation codec is only 8-bit though. Given my concern about wanting gradients to look as good as possible when projected onto a large screen, would it actually make more sense for me to work at 16-bit depth and then export as 10-bit uncompressed or as a targa sequence?

Return to posts index

Jeff GreenbergRe: Codec confusion - what's best for a 1080p25 project on a laptop?
by on Mar 30, 2011 at 2:51:30 am

Everything in Motion is uncompressed. All those settings? Just to match the frame size, fps and pixel aspect ratio:

Custom: 25fps, 1920x1080, no fields. square pixels.

I'd work in 10 bit if you like...but really? The avid is likely going to be 8 bit - unless they're goign to work in an x resolution (like DNxHD 220x)

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer | Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC | Adobe Cert. Instructor
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
Come See me speak at NAB!
Compressor Essentials from Lynda.com
(older but still good) Marquee, Media Composer (3.5) and Basic/Advanced Color DVDs (1.0) from Vasst.com
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

Noah KadnerRe: Codec confusion - what's best for a 1080p25 project on a laptop?
by on Mar 30, 2011 at 3:15:49 am

Yeah I'd ask what the Avid people can handle. Chances are they will just crush it down to some flavor of 8-bit DNX. Chances are an animation codec video will be simplest.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon 5D Mark II and 7D.

Return to posts index

alicia pakareuEXPORTING HDV 1080 25p is giving jumpy image
by on Oct 26, 2011 at 7:59:04 pm

Hello, thank you very much for this posts.

I have a question, a problem with my exportation that doesn't let me sleep.
I'm editing HDV 1080 25p footege recorded with the Canon XHA1 in FCP 6.06. MACOS X 10.5.6 LEOPARD Proc.2.8 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB DDR 2 SDRAM 800M.

My finished timeline is 7 minutes. Some effects, some LiveType titles (a little sawtooth like in the edges), and all looks good so far. The settings are HDV1080 25p timeline.

Now, I want to create a master with best resolution and best compatibility, I do not mind the file size. I see your suggestion on Prores.

I'm doing several tests and I'm not really satisfied.
The timeline looks perfect but once created the Quicktime file the image is jumping slightly, stumbling, the larger the file bigger the jumps. But once copied to a data file DVD is terrible, the picture is very jumpy and keeps on stopping.

I exported with and without Quicktime conversion. In different codecs: HDV1080 25p, in ProRes 422 HQ normal (before rendering in ProRes too). Frame rate 25, size 1440x1080. AAC.
The timeline looks perfect but once created the Quicktime file in all cases the image is jumping slightly, stumbling, the larger the file bigger the jumps. But once copied to a data file DVD is terrible, the picture is very jumpy and keeps on stopping.

I tried also to deinterlace although I don't think progresive should deinterlace? isn't it?

I don't know what else to try ! Why is that so difficul? Or I'm doing something wrong?

I need to deliver this work and need help urgently!

Alioshka.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]