APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Video disappears when Selectiong Variable Speed

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dawn Mikkelson
Video disappears when Selectiong Variable Speed
on Mar 25, 2011 at 5:44:21 pm

I'm relatively new to working in Motion (Using Motion 4), but have edited on FCP for over a decade. Feeling really stupid here, but trying to create a variable speed slow motion from a clip exported from FCP. Every time I select Variable Speed, the preview goes to black. When I look at my layers, the clip is still nested in Group 1, but the thumbnail for Group 1 is also blank. What am I doing wrong? Anyone???? The online tutorials for this process seem easy, but their video doesn't disappear.

Dawn

Return to posts index

Jonathan Proby
Re: Video disappears when Selectiong Variable Speed
on Apr 6, 2011 at 12:19:52 am

I have a done a bit in motion, and with large projects (either a lot of effects, big HD, long project) I have often found a video disappearing when making a change. The really annoying thing is that when I export it the video is still gone.

My Solution:
Break up the project into smaller chunks. Or if you are doing multiple layers of effects, turn off all but the first layer and export. Then bring the newly effected file back into Motion, and add more effects.

If you are only doing time remapping you probably can't turn off other effects, but you can cut it into smaller chunks (on one project I was working with 10-15 second clips.

I hope this helps

-Proby

Return to posts index

Brian dowtin
[Solved] Re: Video disappears when Selecting Variable Speed
on Apr 27, 2011 at 5:59:24 am

I had the same problem - linking to motion from Final Cut.

The fix: after selecting 'Variable Speed' in the time remap window, (and the preview goes black) go in and select it again.

---
To reproduce the problem : Export clip to Motion. In Motion - you'll find the clip in a Group (Group 1) , Select the clip, go to Timing, and in the Time Remap field select -'Variable Speed'; The preview for Group1 - turns to checkerboard, and the main preview window turns black.
--

Hope it helps!
'Brian

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: [Solved] Re: Video disappears when Selecting Variable Speed
on May 26, 2011 at 3:10:30 pm

Select what again? I tried reelecting Constant speed and then variable speed again and it did not work. I saved it at Variable speed, closed out Motion and re-opened the same project and then the clip was back. I have no idea as to why it does that.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Albert OConnor
on Feb 21, 2012 at 2:02:39 pm

I tried the solutions listed here and though re-selecting "variable" does bring the preview of the video back, I cannot play the video in Motion and adding keyframes is pretty much impossible.

But the solution I found was two-fold.

I was right-clicking a video clip in my FCP timeline, selecting "send to Motion", also, this clip in my FCP timeline did not have the same Compressor as my timeline nor any of the other clips in this timeline. So I "export > Using Quicktime Conversion" the chosen clip from my FCP preview window creating a new clip with the same compressor as my FCP timeline compressor, then in Motion > File Browser tab > select the "newly exported QT file you just made" and import it into your Motion project. Voila! You can perform variable speed tricks to your heart's delight with this video clip and then either export it as a new finished QT clip to import into FCP or import this new Motion project into FCP and render. I know this response is a year old but better late than never.

Bert O'Connor

Return to posts index

don simpson
on May 1, 2012 at 11:49:38 pm

You, sir, are a God.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]