APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Lower 3rd Animation with alpha channel?

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Campbell
Lower 3rd Animation with alpha channel?
on Mar 22, 2011 at 2:30:19 pm

I have a lower 3rd (really just a bug in the lower right hand corner) animation in MOTN 4 that uses the lens flare element and beam-in effect to animate a logo and type. A modified version of the master template Tech Blue-Open 2 HD. In MOTN, I am able to place a background behind these elements. But I need to export this with an alpha channel, so that a different background can be placed in later on by our vendor. For use in a baseball stadium.

I've tried simply exporting using ProRes 4x4 and even the animation codec, but that doesn't seem to work. I've placed the exported file on top of other video to test and once the lens flare/bea-n effect start, the background dips to black.

How do I export this file with a proper alpha channel and still maintain transparency with the lens flare & beam-in effects? Do I need to mask things out or build the alpha channel? I'm confused.

FYI, I've successfully built another bug/lower 3rd with no lens flare. This on only fades it and drifts to a stop in the lower right hand corner. Once exported using ProRes 4x4, the alpha channel was there when tested with background video.

OS 10.6.3, Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 ghz quad-core intel xenon, 16 gb ram, with BM Intensity Pro card

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Lower 3rd Animation with alpha channel?
on Mar 22, 2011 at 3:18:42 pm

If you look at the lens flare in the properties section. You will see the Blend Mode is set to Add. In FCP you need to select the clip / project file and right click on it. Choose Composite mode, Add.

If you need to export it out with an alpha channel here is one of a few options. Change the Lens Flare blend mode to Normal. Then add a Luma Key filter. Change the filter key mode to "Key out darker". Hope this helps and best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Matt Campbell
on Mar 22, 2011 at 9:24:37 pm

thx Stephen, the first does not work. The Add composite mode lets the image shine through the logo bug.

But method 2 seems to have worked just fine. Never would have thought of that. So the Luma Key just keys out the darker areas of the lens flare and entire frame thus creating the alpha channel?

Well, even if my interpretation isn't correct, it work either way. Thanks for the help.

OS 10.6.3, Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 ghz quad-core intel xenon, 16 gb ram, with BM Intensity Pro card

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Mar 23, 2011 at 2:13:08 pm

You got it. Best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

Andrew Wilson
on Mar 23, 2011 at 6:13:54 pm

You can check to see what your alpha channel is up do while in Motion by either:

1: change your background color under EDIT>Project Properties to something other than black

2: goto VIEW>Channels and choose either alpha overlay or just alpha. You can hit v on the keyboard to toggle but unless your background is set to something other than black, the illusion will be just that all your color disappears.

It would be nice if Motion had an option to view transparent with a grid like PhotoShop but I don't think it does...

Andrew Wilson
WestView Digital Video & Design
http://www.westviewdigital.com

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Mar 23, 2011 at 6:24:03 pm

[Andrew]
It would be nice if Motion had an option to view transparent with a grid like PhotoShop but I don't think it does...

View, Channels, Transparent.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]