APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

"Send to Motion" from Final cut does not work (Opens as blank project)

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
joseph shelley"Send to Motion" from Final cut does not work (Opens as blank project)
by on Mar 22, 2011 at 1:49:02 pm

Hi, I hope someone can help me...

I've been working in final cut, generating a clip of a digital clock reading time code (from a tmts clock effect generator), creating 20 seconds of timecode on the timeline and then trying to send it to motion. I've tried sending it from the timeline, from the bin, changing the selections when the send to motion/"save as" interface opens. Nothing seems to work. When the project opens in motion, it's a blank project with no media associated. When I go back to try again in Final cut, the clip in Final Cut displays as blank (black) footage.

I believe I've had this problem in the past too, and just worked around it by exporting the clip as a .png .mov file and opening it in Motion, but that's time consuming and really hurts my workflow.

Thanks to anyone who can help me,

-Joe Shelley

VT

Return to posts index

Mark SpencerRe: "Send to Motion" from Final cut does not work (Opens as blank project)
by on Mar 22, 2011 at 2:07:38 pm

Generators, transitions, and filters don't make the trip from Final Cut Pro to Motion. You can only send video and stills.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

joseph shelleyRe: "Send to Motion" from Final cut does not work (Opens as blank project)
by on Mar 22, 2011 at 3:25:46 pm

Gotcha, Thanks,

Any suggestions on quickening the process--something quicker than exporting an animation or .png?

Cheers,

Return to posts index

Gareth RandallRe: "Send to Motion" from Final cut does not work (Opens as blank project)
by on Mar 25, 2011 at 4:51:48 am

You're using a generator, so you either export as an animation or you recreate the generator within Motion.

Return to posts index

joseph shelleyRe: "Send to Motion" from Final cut does not work (Opens as blank project)
by on Mar 25, 2011 at 1:37:58 pm

Thanks Gareth,

I ended up outputting it as an animation.

Cheers,

-joe

Return to posts index

Gareth RandallRe: "Send to Motion" from Final cut does not work (Opens as blank project)
by on Mar 26, 2011 at 10:34:30 am

Lovely though Motion is in many respects, it does have a few baffling or flat-out annoying quirks, as you've discovered ;) It seems logical to me that generators, titles etc should make the trip from FCP to Motion, so it's weird that they don't.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]