APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

masking and motion tracking a dancer, Color, Motion, DaVinci...

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Seth Thymasking and motion tracking a dancer, Color, Motion, DaVinci...
by on Mar 6, 2011 at 9:52:27 am

Hi guys,

I'm trying to solve this for 2 weeks now and getting nowhere... :-/

I have few short clips (10-20 sec each) of a guy dancing in room, it was edited in Apple Pro Res (HQ).
In background there are different things (wall, pictures, furniture) and background is the same in all clips, camera is still, only thing changing is his body in motion and he changes his costume in every clip.

My job is to color grade shots and to mask him out because I need to grade him differently (a bit warmer on skin) and from time to time to apply a Bad TV filter (on of FCP filters) on him.

First I did overall grading in Color. At first I thought of masking him in Color, use Motion tracking and grade him, but I didn't know how to achieve BAD TV filter in Color so I sent in back to FCP and than sent it to Motion for masking, additional color grading and to apply filter.

I drew one mask for whole body, and since he's holding his palms on hips, 2 smaller (subtract) masks for a shapes between his arms and body.
And now I "only" need to motion track it.

I tried with Shape Track Points, but a lot of trackers, especially around his arms a loosing their track points. I tried even to fix them manually frame by frame but some of them are stopping after few frames and I don't know how to add them new "track points" on later frames, so that part of mask is just staying where they stopped. And it is really time consuming...

I event tried Analyze Motion and than Match Move but that didn't get me anywhere...

I don't know what I'm doing wrong... I now it would be easier if they filmed it in front of blue screen, but they actually showed me things they used to do earlier shot in the same way but I think it was done in DaVinci.

Is there something I can do? I'm working in Motion 3, maybe in Motion 4 tracking is better? Should they get DaVinci?
I never worked on DaVinci so I don't know what can be done in it but maybe the problem could be me using FC Studio the wrong way and not in DaVinci superiority over FCStudio, if there is such a thing...

Tnx

Seth

PowerMac 2x2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
5GB 667 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM
NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT
AJA Kona LHe
Apple Color 1.02

Return to posts index

James BonningtonRe: masking and motion tracking a dancer, Color, Motion, DaVinci...
by on Mar 6, 2011 at 6:55:45 pm

I'm purely thinking out loud BUT - is there any footage of the background without the dancer? If you captured a still, you could then use that as mask to leave you with just the dancer; to which you can filter as you wish? You could then add that back to your still though I accept he wouldn't cast a shadow etc. if that matters. If you've several clips of 20s, you really don't want to be tracking over 1000 frames.

Alternatively - if you have successfully masked him in Color; you CAN do a bad TV style by adding a number of different filters; have a look around.

Return to posts index

Seth ThyRe: masking and motion tracking a dancer, Color, Motion, DaVinci...
by on Mar 7, 2011 at 7:13:41 am

Yes, that was my first question to them, but unfortunately, there is no footage of background without a dancer. I honestly don't know why.

PowerMac 2x2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
5GB 667 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM
NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT
AJA Kona LHe
Apple Color 1.02

Return to posts index

Anders LarsenRe: masking and motion tracking a dancer, Color, Motion, DaVinci...
by on Mar 7, 2011 at 9:18:44 am

Does the dancer move around enough, that you can piece together a complete clean plate from parts of the background?

If so, use Photoshop to create the plate.
Richard Harrington has an exellent tutorial on how to do that here:

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/harrington_richard/photoshop_averag...

If the dancer casts a lot of shadows and reflections, that might give you some grief, later in the process, but this should get you a good piece of the way.

Return to posts index

Stephen SmithRe: masking and motion tracking a dancer, Color, Motion, DaVinci...
by on Mar 7, 2011 at 2:40:31 pm

DaVinci and Color are for Color Grading and will not help you with the Bad TV look. I would adjust the color of the dancer in Color. It has the capability to just color correct the dancer and not the surroundings with out a mask in a lot of cases. Once you like the color I would import that dancer into Color and only create a mask around the dancer for the part where you have the bad TV effect. That way you are not creating a mask around the full 20 seconds and maybe just the last 1 second where you use the Bad TV filter as a transition or something. Hope I made sense and best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]