APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

How much diffrence in Nvidia 6800GT DL

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anthony Miles
How much diffrence in Nvidia 6800GT DL
on May 22, 2005 at 1:44:42 am

Considering an upgrade to the GeForce 6800 GT DDL card for my Dual 2.5 G5 with 2.5 gigs of ram. How much real world performance boost in Motion will be experienced overteh stock 9600xt. I did read the Bare foots article, but If some real users can give examples of everyday real world use that would be very helpful and appreciated.

Typical work for me might be several layers of moving text with shadows over a couple of video layers with color corrections some with blur and composite mode changes. And a particle effect in the background with a couple of filters on it, and a mask or two in there on various layers.

Thanks so much,
Anthony Miles.

Return to posts index

VideoManSF
Re: Huge!
on May 23, 2005 at 4:16:05 am

I have a 2.7Ghz G5 with 4GB ram. two days ago I pulled the stock ati 9650 (256MB) out and installed a ATI X800 XT, and updated the firmware. I went from 12 fps on a complex project to a rock solid 30fps. A ten second ram preview was 19 seconds, now is 8 seconds. worth every penny to me, and at $466 online plus I don't sacrifice a pci slot, means all the difference to me. Also ATI has always had better mac driver integration than Nvidia. The 6800 vs the x800 is -+2% on all the motion 2 tests that I have seen (NAB included). Yes the 6800 is faster on the PC, but we don't have pcs now do we. If you want real performance in motion take that $160 savings and stick it in a fast Sata, fiber, or SCSI raid. I have a Medea RTRx and I get about a 20% improvement over the internal Sata drive in motion (thats a lot more than a 6800 will give you). Plus tack on some more ram if you like to run FCP5 and motion 2 at the same time as they both will eat 2GBs.

IMHO, VM

Return to posts index

Anthony Miles
on May 23, 2005 at 5:03:56 am

VideoMan,
Thanks for the great feedback. Do you run 1 or 2 monitors? I am considering running an HDTV tube with a DVI input as a cinema display for FCP on the second port of the video card for HD previews. Do you think that would that work with the X800 XT?

Fortunatly, I have a pretty serious SATA raid already.

Thanks a bunch,
AM

Return to posts index

VideoManSF
on May 23, 2005 at 2:16:02 pm

I have two 22" samsung Crts at 2048x1536. From my tests there is no speed difference between one monitor and two in motion. The only problem that I can see with running DVI into a HDTV is that the HDTV will act as a monitor, and will use a different color space then if you go out of a video capture card and into the HDTV. You can correct for this as I used to before I got a kona 2. Buy a Spyder 2 from pantone (about $250) and you can then color calibrate the HDTV to ntsc standard color space with a color sync profile (just select ntsc from the colorvue menu). Also remember with HDTV setup is at 0 ire for transmission, but TV/HDreceivers manufacturers are required to add setup to 7.5ire on playback but most of the time they don't. I shoot for 3ire for black when I know that the material is going to be broadcast on HDTV.

VM

Return to posts index

Anthony Miles
on May 23, 2005 at 4:04:05 pm

VM,
Excellent. That is a great Idea. I did not know the spider would do NTSC color space.

I do have a Decklink SD card that I use currently to a broadcast NTSC monitor. Once I upgrade to FCP 5 we will see if it will still do RT down conversion with the HDV material.

I would really like to be able to view the HDV material in HD. Am I asking about the best solution or do you recommend a better workflow such as an LCD panel. In my experience LCD displays are not really very color and contrast accurate to NTSC video. My Edit room would be better suited for the LCD because of size, but accurate viewing is my main concern, but I can not afford 3500 for an HD broadcast monitor at this time.

Thanks again,
AM

Return to posts index

VideoManSF
Re: HDV
on May 24, 2005 at 1:26:01 am

With HDV you are best to run FW into the mac from the very camera that shot the HDV. Edit only on the mac (with camera/deck disconnected), and then reconnect the deck to run HDV out over FW for a final "monitor online pass." You can do that at SD or HD with the deck/camera down converting the video to SD. I HAD a sony "Broadcast Grade" LCD HD for two weeks, on-lined one show and the client was so discussed with the blacks/color that I had to comp them a new online. I have found that for color, the SD down converts are fine, but for motion graphics, nothing beats even a low cost native HDTV. I now have a sony HD CRT BC monitor now, and two $1000 Samsung CRT HDTVs. Be aware that the consumer CRT HDTVs will only be 1080i although some can up-convert 720p (looks soft). LCD/Plasma TVs are only 720p and look soft with 1080i high motion.

Vm

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]