BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

My saddest eBay listing ever

COW Forums : Business & Career Building

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd Terry
My saddest eBay listing ever
on Jun 5, 2020 at 8:10:52 pm

No real news here... just a plea for sympathy...

I'm trying to take advantage of the Corona slowness to do some housecleaning here... I always feel I'm just one click away from being on an episode of "Extreme Hoarders." The problem is that in our industry you just never know what you'll might need in the way of props or wardrobe or equipment bits-n-pieces in the future, so it becomes all too easy to say "I might need that" when you know good and well that something is never going to see the light of day again. Ever. This is why I can't get rid of a full Thomas Jefferson costume, a box of random hairpieces custom-made for an actor who is not even alive anymore, or racks of Beta decks. Hey, you just never know.... that two-track Fostex reel-to-reel recorder might be needed again someday......

BUT, I'm trying. And although I figured I'd be hauling lots of stuff to the dumpster, I have managed to find a few suckers (oops, I mean savvy buyers) on eBay and actually sold off a couple of things. Hey I just sold an old Canon XL1 for a lot more than I ever thought I'd get for it. I mean, who the heck needs a 20-year old standard def MiniDV camera?... for more than you can buy something 10x better at Best Buy? Well someone in Nevada, apparently.

This one makes me sad, though. I just listed our P+S Technik lens converter, which hasn't been used in years... shown here all rigged out...

I'm not sad to sell it... I'm sad about what I'll get for it. The lens converter was $13,000 new. I'll be lucky if I get 200 bucks for it. If that.

I'm not really crying, the thing was a brilliant addition to our shooting arsenal "back in the day" before there were cameras with 35mm sensors, and it paid for itself a hundred times over. It's still one of the most ingenious and brilliantly-designed and built pieces of camera equipment I ever owned. Still it's a little heart-sickening to know something that once had a lot of value is now pretty worthless.

Hmmm... I wonder if they say that about me at home....

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
Re: My saddest eBay listing ever
on Jun 8, 2020 at 5:09:32 pm

sad to say it but analog gear is worthless - I keep our VX-2000 on my bookcase for posterity

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
Re: My saddest eBay listing ever
on Jun 15, 2020 at 10:43:29 am

We have an Otari 16 channel tape recorder with control unit that was purchased in the mid 1980s for around £34,000 (c.£98,000 today) which is used as coffee table. Analogue stuff is depressingly worthless.

Co-owner at Pollen Studio
http://www.pollenstudio.co.uk

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]