BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Article: Graduating into Uncertainty: Encouragement for 2020 Media Grads

COW Forums : Business & Career Building

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kylee Peña
Article: Graduating into Uncertainty: Encouragement for 2020 Media Grads
on May 29, 2020 at 11:20:39 pm

Business & Career Building
Graduating into Uncertainty: Encouragement for 2020 Media Grads

So you’re graduating into a pandemic and a recessed economy. Hoo boy. As a Spring 2009 media program graduate, I have a feeling what’s going through your head right now and yeah, it’s not great is it? I’m sorry about this timing. It sucks.

Editorial, Feature, People / Interview, Business   2020/05/29
Author: Kylee Peña

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Graduating into Uncertainty: Encouragement for 2020 Media Grads
on May 31, 2020 at 5:57:39 pm

This is such a great article -
here are my favorite lines -
I’m adding this just to remind you that the established adults in your life can be unhelpful idiots too.

You need to meet people who are doing jobs you want and find out what college missed for you. Then you need to go learn that.

By the time I graduated, I had applied to hundreds of jobs and maybe gotten a response from 3 or 4. Looking for work is work. Looking for internships is soul-sucking. After I was at the job I got upon graduation in Indianapolis, I really wanted to move onto something else and somewhere else

The biggest secret to success in entertainment (aside from being born into a rich family or inheriting a trust fund) is to absolutely live below your means as early as you can and for as long as you can. Start saving early and as much as possible

I’m currently doing a job that didn’t really exist when I was in college. Certainly when I graduated, the company I work for had quite a different business model. Keep your eyes open and keep a pulse on what really drives you and your career. Establish these habits early.

In the face of change and the unknown as it applies to entertainment technology, content creation, and storytelling, you are the most likely to succeed. You are going to help build and shape the future of cinema, television, small screens, and big screens.

What an amazng artc
  • e.
    o

Bob Zelin
    Rescue 1, Inc.
    bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Craig Williams
    Re: Graduating into Uncertainty: Encouragement for 2020 Media Grads
    on Jun 23, 2020 at 7:37:22 pm

Great article and I feel bad for those graduating now. But I also feel like it can be a great time also. Things are going to come back. Creatives are going to be needed to let everyone know that businesses are back in business. In a few years, we will look back on this just like any other natural disaster. It happened, most survived it and the world keeps spinning.
    I love the line: "the established adults in your life can be unhelpful idiots too".
    So true

Craig’s Voice Over Website: British Voice Over.
    Craig’s Blog: British Voice Over Blog.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
    © 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
    [TOP]