BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Trying to sell an idea, asking for references.

COW Forums : Business & Career Building

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pablo Serrato
Trying to sell an idea, asking for references.
on Jan 10, 2020 at 12:14:33 pm

Hi there! I'm working on the pre-production of a commercial and I'm trying to sell the idea of making a pice where there is an actor speaking to camera while background props change creating diferente rooms and locations. Something similar to the well-known Old spice Tv commercial "The Man Your Man Could Smell Like". I can't find any other commercials done with the same technique, I would be very grateful to anyone who can remember any. Thank you very much!! really appreciate it!!!

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Trying to sell an idea, asking for references.
on Jan 10, 2020 at 10:13:10 pm

Well, you'll probably not find a better example than the Old Spice commercials. The very first one especially just knocked my socks off, I loved it so much. The following couple of commercials, not as much because they had a lot of CGI and other voodoo in them. The original one was about 99% practical... I think only the bottle/diamonds were CGI, and removal of the horse's handler.

I wish they had taken better behind the scenes footage of that, but here's one that is not seen too often...

This "room changing" technique has been used a good bit but I can't think of too many examples off the top of my head. There's a current spot for "My Pillow" where the guy starts out talking to camera in a bedroom, and then the set breaks away to reveal him in the pillow factory.

Here we did sort of a "half" version of that for a GED campaign for community colleges in Alabama, Georgia, and Kentucky. It's not quite what you're talking about, but a similar idea. Here we started with actors in front of a "portrait" background (the classic gray wrinkly backdrop), which was taken away to reveal a classroom set behind it....

http://fantasticplastic.com/portfolio/news052.html

Actually I've been wanting to use the actor that appears in that first spot we did for an Old Spice parody myself. He's a medium-well-known actor and can sound a lot like Isaiah Mustafa... and shirtless is built like him, too. I'd love to start a spot with him saying "Hello, ladies..." but the Old Spice campaign might be too old now for it to be relevant. Oh well...

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Pablo Serrato
Re: Trying to sell an idea, asking for references.
on Jan 13, 2020 at 9:24:23 am

Hi Todd! First of all, thank you very much for your answer. Indeed there is not better example than the one from Old Spice. However the spot for "My Pillow" is a perfect way of achieving something similar with less budget.
Congrats for your GED campaign! And thank you for showing it to me as it bring to my mind another technique that can be used. For the commercial we are filming we are going to make at least three changes of rooms, so I can convine several techniques. You have really helpful! Thanks a lot! Once we launch the spot I'll try to remember and post it here!

Thank you very much Todd, hope you have a great week!
All the best!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]