BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Budgeting for Non union Talent

COW Forums : Business & Career Building

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Ball
Budgeting for Non union Talent
on Aug 20, 2019 at 1:11:22 pm

Hi All,

I'm working on a quote for a large project that will require various role playing scenarios featuring 2-3 actors per scenario. Probably looking at shooting 15 different videos (scenarios).

In the past I've paid $600 per actor for up to 5 hours plus talent agency fees. Does that still seem right? Or what do you folks usually charge?

Thanks.

Greg Ball, President
Ball Media Innovations, Inc.
https://www.ballmediainnovations.com

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Budgeting for Non union Talent
on Aug 20, 2019 at 2:10:16 pm

Hi Greg...

That's a fair dayrate, you should get plenty of actors interested at that.

Typically we offer anywhere from $300 to $1000 for a role (I think the most I've ever paid is $1500). I usually get anywhere from 100 to 1000+ actor submissions in that realm. I usually have about three dozen talent agencies (from throughout the south) submitting, as well as lots of actors submitting directly. The slightly funny (and slightly sad) thing is that most of the actors who do submit to me directly do have representation, but they are submitting directly. I guess their agents aren't working hard enough for them.

A couple of things to note...

When I put out a casting call, when I specify the dayrate I also say that rate is "inclusive of representation or any other fees." I want to be in control of the total amount that I'm going to pay, without anything else tacked on. Agents know that if they submit their actors that any agency fees will come out of the amount I'm offering, not be added on to it.

Secondly, I always specify that "We will consider talent from anywhere, although all hires are as-local." Meaning, we will not pay for travel or accommodations. If an actor from far away wants a role badly enough to submit for it, then the travel expenses are all on them. And yes, plenty will still go for that. I'm in Alabama, but we regularly have actors as far away as California submit for roles. They are rarely cast (or accept) though, although some do come from a fair distance. The vast majority of our talent comes from the Atlanta area (and a few from the Nashville area), but we've hired from south Florida, New Orleans, North Carolina, etc.

Good luck!

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
Re: Budgeting for Non union Talent
on Aug 20, 2019 at 4:27:23 pm

Thanks so much Terry. That's very helpful!!

Greg Ball, President
Ball Media Innovations, Inc.
https://www.ballmediainnovations.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]