BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Pet Peeves

COW Forums : Business & Career Building

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Ball
Pet Peeves
on Aug 16, 2019 at 6:49:28 pm

What are your pet peeves in your business? Mine is usually a potential client who doesn't respond after initially contacting me.

I had someone fill out our website request form and I called her and emailed her within 5 minutes. Left 2 voice mails and send 3 emails. She never responded.

Now I've done that when I received an unsolicited email or call, but when I contact someone for to hire them for a service and they quickly reply, I'm always courteous to let them know that I'm no longer interested, or went with another company. Especially after several calls and emails from them.

Business is challenging enough without wasting precious time trying to follow up with rude people.

What's going on with our world?

Greg Ball, President
Ball Media Innovations, Inc.
https://www.ballmediainnovations.com

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Pet Peeves
on Aug 16, 2019 at 9:05:17 pm

oh my God - I just had this exact thing happen.

A guy emails me, and says "when would it be convenient to have a phone meeting with you" ?
His contact info and company was on the email, including his CEL #.
I called him within 2 minutes. Left a message. Emailed him and said "I am always available - whenever is convenient for you - including right now". No response. I called him and emailed him the next day. No response.

SO, why did he contact me in the first place ?

and just to keep complaining (about Millenials) - this is what I observe.
They contact you. You call them, and you get "this mailbox is full and cannot accept any messages". You email them, and no reply (because after all - who looks at emails anymore ? !!!).
The ONLY way to reach them is by texting them, and then they reply. WHAT IS THAT !

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Aug 16, 2019 at 9:10:35 pm

[Bob Zelin] "this mailbox is full and cannot accept any messages"."

Oh my gawd... not only is that the worst, but it happens to us all the time.

You know who the worst offenders are? ACTORS. We hire lots of them and I would say a good HALF of the time we have bad/poor or completely incorrect contact info for them (even though they just submitted for a role), and I cannot count the number of times I've heard "This user has not set up their mailbox".... when that's the ONLY way to contact them. Do they not want to get hired?

I swear every time this happens I say "actors are the dumbest people on the planet." And I don't mind saying that as a card-carrying AFTRA-SAG former actor myself. My brethren are NOT a smart group.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 19, 2019 at 2:17:33 pm

Well, maybe they're smart... but yes, they can often be "flakey".

First peeve that comes to mind is, I can't count how often I have busted my (redacted) to deliver something really good to a client, really fast... only to have them spend literally weeks before they respond, and that, only after some polite reminders.

Other peeves: people who are phoning it in. We played a music gig this weekend, and the venue's sound man was absolutely checked-out in terms of commitment to doing his job. First, he complains that he doesn't have enough inputs on his board to handle us, so couldn't we just all huddle around his five mics (with 8 people, two speaker cabs for electric instruments, and 6 acoustic instruments). I showed him that I'd brought an extra 5 mics, cables, and stands, all set up and ready to go, plus I'd brought a 4-channel sub-mixer, so he really only needs to worry about one more input on his board. He stopped working the board and started playing with his phone for over half the set.... and he's supposed to be mixing ten mics where every song has someone else doing lead solos. We show up early and there's nobody on stage ahead of us, the audience is waiting, so we ask if we can start early.

"I don't care", says the guy. And it showed.

Whether it's video or music performance, your team can work like demons to get it perfect, but it all goes to heck if one key person outside your team doesn't bring their "A" game to the job.

If I ever get like that, somebody please shoot me, ...then tell me.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Aug 26, 2019 at 8:45:07 pm

ok - just one more (which is similar to the Actors one) -
I am trying to contact an editor that I don't know. It appears that he is young.
Via Google, LinkedIn, etc. I finally find his webpage.
No phone, no email on how to contact him - nothing.
So he is "out there" - but there is no way to contact him.
So - how does he get work if someone wants to use him ?

Bob

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Aug 26, 2019 at 9:42:33 pm

I hear that the kids are all about DMs (direct messages). Maybe his social media profiles are listed on his website and you can reach him that way? There are many, many people that I primarily speak to this way. Definitely feels a little odd, but in some cases I have no alternatives....

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Aug 26, 2019 at 9:44:32 pm

Sigh... those kids today, with their rock-n-roll music and Hula Hoops......

(a favorite phrase I break out frequently)

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Steve McMillan
on Sep 9, 2019 at 7:14:20 pm

Oh man... the "this mailbox is full" thing drives me absolutely nuts. I've come close to throwing my phone across the room before.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Sep 18, 2019 at 2:39:17 pm

I just had to add this, because it just happened.
Received an email 30 minutes ago "we are having problems with xyz. "
I wrote back and said, "I can fix that for you, would you like me to call you"
they wrote back "that's great - when can you call" -
I wrote back "right now"
I called their office #, and both of their CEL #'s. No one answers the phone.
I emailed them and said "I just tried to call all 3 of your phone #'s".

Nothing - it's been another 30 minutes.
What is that ?
Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]