BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Transcribing interviews and such

COW Forums : Business & Career Building

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd Terry
Transcribing interviews and such
on Jun 18, 2019 at 8:36:53 pm

Hi gang...

I just thought I'd pass along a resource that I stumbled on that I'm pretty darn impressed with.

We just finished a week-long corporate shoot in Las Vegas, where we shot tons of interviews with our client's customers. We do interview-type shoots for this client all the time, and when the shoot wraps the first order of biz is always to give them written transcripts of what we shot.

In the past we have done this with out bare hands like animals, lots of listening and typing. Painfully monotonous, the only upside is that we bill a lot for it with no heavy lifting.

Well this go-'round, I decided I was just going to farm out the transcribing. A little Googling led me to a company that I was going to try... they promised real live human transcribers, a turnaround time of 12 hours, and a cost of a dollar a minute... which was a huge bargain I thought.

But before I pulled trigger on that, I ran across another company, Temi, that does automated speech recognition and text transcription online. You can try one for free, so I gave it a shot.

I wasn't very hopeful because some of our interviewees spoke at around 900 miles per hour, some had accents, and their dialog was full of industry jargon, acronyms and such. We had tried speech-recognition-to-text voodoo several times before, with poor results.

I was very surprised though that the Temi transcripts are DARN NEAR FLAWLESS, even industry terms that aren't in the usual vernacular, acronyms, and even company names that are not exactly common. Most of these interviews were about 15 minutes long, and I'd say on average there were anywhere from a half dozen to a dozen places where I had to tweak the transcript. Otherwise they were perfect.

AND... it happens almost instantly (takes about 2-3 minutes to process an audio file upload), and is 10¢ a minute. TEN CENTS!!! The average interview cost me a buck and a half, for what previously was about two hours of typing.

Works like a charm... and I heartily recommend...

https://www.temi.com/

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Neil McClure
Re: Transcribing interviews and such
on Jun 19, 2019 at 2:24:55 am

I have been using Trint for some time and really like it. I imagine that most of these services use IBM's watson so will have similar outcomes. TRINT has lots of features I like and the fact that you can get your client involved is great.

Video Production - Videographer
Melbourne, Australia
http://www.mcmm.com.au

Return to posts index

Alan Chapman
on Jun 20, 2019 at 6:26:29 am

Yep, there's no reason to manually transcribe any more, audio to text technology is pretty darn good. I also used to transcribe myself but now I use Ebby.co (pretty similar to Temi in features and pricing)

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on Jun 21, 2019 at 1:22:34 pm

Thanx, Todd!! The referral is MUCH appreciated. Ben using the $1 a minute services so this "sounds" like a great deal.

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Jun 21, 2019 at 11:05:27 pm

REV.com is also one of the best....

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Neil McClure
on Jun 23, 2019 at 11:31:24 pm

Hi Rich

I like the look of REV, TRINT is a software based translation and while you get your translation back quickly (30 minutes for a 10 min read) it's about 90% accurate. So you then have to spend 30 minutes or so correcting the translation.

Can you share a translation using the API with a client? This is so they can mark up the text with highlights for selecting good takes etc.

Melbourne, Australia

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Jun 24, 2019 at 1:12:40 am

I can't speak to the other flavors, but with Temi you can share with clients and they can mark up the text, etc... you can keep it all "live" on the cloud or download various file types... docx, PDF, etc.

My interviews were about 15-20 minutes long each. I'd say on average the processing took about 2-3 minutes if I did them one at a time. Once I uploaded a batch of about 10 of them all at once, the transcribing took about 5 minutes for those.

The transcriptions were very VERY accurate... I'd say on average I had to make between six and a dozen corrections on each one. Even this one guy who had a pretty heavy (actually extremely heavy) German accent and in several instances said the names of fairly obscure companies, and the translation was still correct.

Just an example... let's say I had an instance where the interviewee said the company name "MagiCorp" several times. Temi would spell it "Magicorp," (only getting the capitalization wrong) which is pretty amazing considering most of the company names were either acronyms or just plain made-up words.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 24, 2019 at 1:45:49 pm

Sounds great. Can you also get them formatted as .srt for captioning purposes?

I'm still using Youtube to auto-caption/transcribe, then I have to manually add capitalization and punctuation corrections and fix the occasional zen koan that pops up when the audio isn't clean or the speaker mumbles or has an accent. But it's free.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Jun 24, 2019 at 2:47:23 pm

Yes Mark...

You can either do your edits and such live via a dashboard, or export files.

You can export text as .docx, .pdf, or .txt files.

Caption files can be exported as .srt or .vtt files.

It's not free like YouTube, but at 10¢ a minute it's about as close as you'll get. The first one is free so give it a try.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Jun 24, 2019 at 9:41:17 pm

Rev does all the flavors, can edit online and download in many formats. They do Captioning, subtitles and can even put in all the ums and ahs etc or leave them out. The only thing they don't do yet is stripe the transcription with timecode from an MP4 with window burn...they can add a timestamp but it is like control track from the old tape days.

So when we get the transcript back we add timecode stamps every few sentences from our sequences.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Jun 24, 2019 at 9:48:39 pm

Temi puts a timecode stamp every paragraph or so... or every couple of sentences...whenever there seems to be a good clean break in the audio.

It does start from 00:00:00 though, so if you want it synced with the actual media's timecode it will require some math, IF you are uploading a clip that has timecode starting at something other than zero. I don't, the way I'm using it, so that's a non-issue for me.

It will also differentiate and name different speakers (I haven't used or needed that feature yet). You can turn off or on the speaker names as well as the timecodes if you want before exporting.

I don't think it has a way to turn off the umms and ahhs... those were all accurately in my transcripts, but fortunately I wanted them there.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jun 25, 2019 at 3:40:41 am

I use Temi sometimes, and I do like editing the text in the cloud. The player integration is quite slick.

But for heavy lifting, I pay the extra dough for Scribie. I was one of their first customers (just by accident -- I had no idea), and was thrilled to see them add pretty much every suggestion I ever made.

What I like best about them is that they use real humans, and will scale exactitude to your specification. That is, it starts at 80 cents for 99% accuracy with a 36 hour turnaround, but if you want 100% accuracy, it's another 50 cents. There are other upcharges for bad recordings or heavily accented speakers, or for them to output to an SRT/VTT file, but you know what, the difference between them and other services is STAGGERING.

I don't mind confessing it here because I'm among friends, but I've had Scribie transcriptions so startling in their accuracy -- things like them looking up model numbers in technical interviews and getting weird product capitalizations EXACTLY right -- that I was able to copy-paste paragraph after paragraph directly into articles I've written with NO additional editing. As many interviews as I've done, I can't even count how many hours Scribie has saved me -- thousands, for sure.

You won't need this level of finesse for every interview, and yeah, no doubt, the price can add up, but when you need it done 100% right, Scribie is who you need to use.

Return to posts index

Neil McClure
on Jun 26, 2019 at 5:16:35 am

Hi Guys
It seems that rev and temi are owned by the same company! Anyway for me being able to have a client collaborate on a interview is what I want. I need them to select the go takes and I like that it appears easy with revtemi. You can only share trint files by sending a copy that they can edit but then you can't. To fix this its $40 a month. Maybe oK if i've got lots to do... maybe. Have a interview job that is confidential so can only use an auto service. However for the projects I would probably go the real person route. Either way price is real good. So hello REV

Thanks Guys

Melbourne, Australia

Return to posts index

jim brodie
on Jul 5, 2019 at 2:46:38 pm

I've found that the free app Goggle Docs - < go to Tools, Voice typing > is very good and improving all the time.... there are strange phonetic spellings at times but it isnt bad for transcibing a few hours of material. I find it also helps me to get more familiar with the material as I do the transcribing in short blocks of five to six minute segments.

I'm certainly going to check out this new service. Thank you for your info.

All the Best,

Jim

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]