BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

3d video

COW Forums : Business & Career Building

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Cole
3d video
on May 21, 2019 at 12:26:45 am

Whatever happened to 3d videography? Mostly dead, or completely? Where do you go beyond 4k... except into the next dimension?

I ask because the other day I looked through some good binoculars, and was impressed by the depth and the "aliveness" of the image. Bokeh has nothing on this.

Bob C

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: 3d video
on May 21, 2019 at 4:04:14 pm

It's having trouble gaining traction in TV drama applications, and will, until glasses-free displays are dirt cheap and have supporting bandwidth... but 3D is apparently doing well and growing in the more "niche" specialties. So far there hasn't been a huge explosion of application outside of the Adult industry but really, I think where it is poised to grow again is "event experience" sports and gaming, as well as "event" programming like concerts. I can imagine a Fathom Events PPV theatre concert with 8k feeding 4k3D.

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on May 22, 2019 at 10:16:09 pm

Actually I think that 8K will bring back photo realistic video in higher frame rates because its resolution is so clear and if the image is large enough (although not truly 3D) will feel like you are actually there. Not suited for dramas or maybe narratives, but really great for Nat Geo and Discovery! Sports too. Now the wide shot of the football field on an 85 inch 8k TV will truly feel like one of the seats.

Three years ago I saw 8K at the NHK booth and said I would skip 4K altogether and go straight to 8K. Looks like that is coming true since Samsung just announced the WLED 65 inch 8K TV for $5000.

I also think only gaming will take advantage of virtual headsets....I'm not walking around town with a headset on. My large phone screen will be just fine thank you. So same with 3D....probably ok in theaters where everyone wears the glasses, but probably not in the home.

What about 360? How in the world do I know where you want me to look? However put up a weather camera on a tower and give me 360 views and that works! But for storytelling? Not sure I've seen compelling examples that make it worthwhile for narratives.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Jun 8, 2019 at 10:34:25 pm

Still shoot a lot of 3D, and some of it for VR applications too. Most of it in 6 and 8K

Co-owner at Pollen Studio
http://www.pollenstudio.co.uk

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jun 11, 2019 at 10:34:09 pm

where are the young users on this forum for questions like this ?

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jun 12, 2019 at 10:46:54 pm

[Bob Zelin] "where are the young users on this forum for questions like this ?"

Not as many as we'd like, but the reasons for that are somewhat organic. The heritage of this forum was the entrepreneurial nature of the early desktop video revolution. Guys like us who were in our 30s and even 40s when this thing hit, because we were the ones who could gather the resources for "cheap" Media 100s and Avid Xpress systems at $30,000 for just the card, plus another five figures for storage, plus $10K each for a UVW camera and deck -- we were into these "cheap" systems for $50-100,000!

The whole business has shifted in-house. Our educated-ish guess is that something like 80% of million-ish monthly uniques who come here are working for someone else, and may have little to no say in the tools and technologies being used at work.

We're certainly hopeful to see the conversations in this forum (forever and always one of my favorites) adapt to the new demographic realities. That was my hope in adding "Career" to the "Business & Career Building" name of the forum. Not many people need to build a business anymore, but we ALL need to build careers.

That's a conversation beyond the scope of this thread, but I think about this a lot, and agree with you Bob -- this is another question that's ideally answered by folks young enough to be our kids!

Best,

Tim Wilson
Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Jun 14, 2019 at 10:04:35 pm

This was 2 years ago. Doing some more ambitious things with VR this year which should be launched next year some time.

Co-owner at Pollen Studio
http://www.pollenstudio.co.uk

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]