BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Cancellation Terms and Fees.

COW Forums : Business & Career Building

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Ball
Cancellation Terms and Fees.
on Jan 31, 2019 at 9:52:17 pm

Hey all,

We've been hired to shoot a week long corporate conference in June, 2019.

I'm hiring a large crew of freelancers for this, and also booking my time for the week as the director and project manager.

Typically our cancellation policy is 48 hours. But because we are all likely to turn down other work in June, I'm wondering how you would write a cancellation clause in your agreement. Is anything non-refundable? How many days out can they cancel?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Greg Ball, President
Ball Media Innovations, Inc.
https://www.ballmediainnovations.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Cancellation Terms and Fees.
on Jan 31, 2019 at 10:09:27 pm

I base my version of this around how badly I put out my subs with a cancellation. If they have to turn down other gigs to lock-in their availability, they should expect some level of compensation, or a fair chance to make other plans, and that's where all my cancellation fees go first.

With enough lead time, the subs may be miffed but can scramble to line up something else.

So I'd look at a no-fee cancellation a week ahead. A non-refundable kill fee deducted out of the deposit at 72-48 hours, the percentage of which is based on just how bad they messed you up. A weather cancellation/act of God/re-scheduling fee, based on a half-day rate.

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Feb 1, 2019 at 2:47:21 pm

It depends on your vendors and any equipment rentals. I have had situations where things got called off a few days before a shoot and we were already committed to paying freelancers, travel and gear rentals.

In a contract with a customer it is a good idea to list cancellation policies, even if there is no penalty. If it is in writing and they signed it it can't be a total surprise if it happens.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Feb 1, 2019 at 3:07:27 pm

This is all based on the customer being the one that disrupts the schedule.

If you have an internal emergency of some sort, and YOU suddenly can't do it, I think you've gotta eat it.

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Feb 1, 2019 at 11:38:53 pm

A retainer fee now will protect you. Other than that, 48 hours is the standard and freelancers understand this.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]