BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

LiveStreaming an event

COW Forums : Business & Career Building

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd Terry
LiveStreaming an event
on Aug 19, 2018 at 4:49:59 pm

Hey gang...

I know there are a variety of ways to do this, and I could probably figure it out... but wisdom and advice from others is never a bad thing.

99% of the time I do more cinematic single-camera type shooting, but about four times a year we do a multi-camera shoot for one our international corporate clients, when their bigwig boss comes in from Europe for sort of a "town hall" type meeting with all of their local employees here.

It's basically a single-speaker speech with big-screen PowerPoint graphics.

We shoot the event with three cameras, then head back to our office and cut it together with graphics into an hour-ish presentation that they make available on their intranet for employees around the world to watch.

For the next one coming up in a few weeks they've just asked "Is it possible to livestream this as well?"

I told them I'm sure we can... though it will take some thought and planning. We do not switch this on location, but rather shoot/record three independent cameras (and frankly at present don't even have any switching capabilities). Also the finished/polished project is fairly graphically complex, a lot of animated graphics and picture-in-picture-in-picture graphics composition (their PowerPoint elements... yayyy) that would be fairly challenging to do live on the fly.

I asked if they wanted the live feed INSTEAD of the finished polished production, and they said no... they want both. So I then asked if they wanted the live feed to look exactly like the finished production... and fortunately they said NO it does not have to be that complex... just switched cameras and full-screen graphics would be fine.

So... now I need to decide on the best way to do that.

Thoughts?

One slightly crazy but extremely simple way to do it would be just to set up our multicamera shoot as is, as we have in the past, and let that be an independent thing. Then in ADDITION to that plop up a little Mevo camera and let that solely be the livestream creator. We could do simple (faux) multi-camera live switching with that, insert graphics, and livestreaming should be a snap since that's exactly what the Mevo is made for.

The other thought is to do it more conventionally I guess... which would mean getting a switcher or Tricaster on location, switching the show live with the three cameras we have, and inserting graphics live... then figuring out a way to livestream the signal. We never ever have to do anything like that (fortunately, since I don't have a great deal of interest in that kind of work at all), but this is a major corporate client inquiring about it, so I need to figure out the best way to say "yes."

And yeah... I know there is a live/events forum on the COW, but it gets zero traffic so thought I'd ask in here.

What do you guys think?

So many advance thanks...

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Steve Kownacki
Re: LiveStreaming an event
on Aug 20, 2018 at 12:18:19 pm

Well, Todd, there's a zillion ways to do this. My first thought - if this isn't your specialty, hire somebody.

I'm not sure how you'd insert graphics with the mevo.

You could easily rent a conventional switcher, run cabling from the cams & PPT computer, and use something like the free LiveStream entry-level app or OBS to go to a private youtube stream embedded on their site. You can even get away with an Convergent Apollo or Atomos Sumo monitor/switcher/recorder that will do 4 iso records + master AND give you switched out to an encoder.

Don't forget to get a good audio feed. People forgive bad video, but not bad sound.

Contact the venue well in advance about getting dedicated bandwidth. At times this can take weeks and is provisioned by an offsite vendor. Get a 24-7 help number. And never rely on wireless. In my local area a 10 Mbps line is around $200./day. In the bigger cities it's $5000./day. Many customers end up with a $20-30K internet bill for a 3-day event when it's all said & done for the uplink and dedicated wireless for their members.

Steve

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: LiveStreaming an event
on Aug 20, 2018 at 6:00:38 pm

Thanks Steve...

I was toying with the Mevo idea as a dirt-cheap solution... you can insert graphics like bugs and lower-thirds with the Mevo, but I haven't been able to determine if you can do full-screen graphics with it.

It might be a moot point, though....

I just found a place that rents the Livestream Studio HD550 4K Live Production Switcher for a pretty dirt cheap weekly rate. It bears more investigating, but I think that will do everything we need for this event, and more.

Fortunately the company's corp headquarters is the venue, so we can just put the onus on our client to provide us with a dedicated line of sufficient bandwidth.

It's funny how the A/V considerations for this particular company (which is an international multi-billion dollar corporation) have changed through the years... we see so many corporations taking video work in-house these days... but these guys are just the opposite. Just a few years ago they had a multimedia department that included probably a $20M studio and had a full-time staff of probably 20 people or more and they did all of their corporate film, video, and photography in house (and did great work, not the usual in-house corp stuff). Now I think they have one A/V guy who kinda knows how to set up a projector for PowerPoint presentations in meetings... and that's it. They still have a 10,000 square foot soundstage that rivals any Hollywood facility, with a 20ft grid and smooth-as-glass vibration-isolated deck, robotic lighting instrument mounts in the grid, three-walled hard cyc, the works...... and now it's crammed full of boxes and unused furniture... they use it for storage. Sad sad sad.

But... at least we benefit from it since we do that work for them now.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]