BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Boom pole hack

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Todd Terry
Boom pole hack
on Aug 1, 2018 at 6:50:18 pm

This is one of those tricks that has been around absolutely forever, and I'm sure everyone in here knows it... but I just had to use it again so thought it bears repeating.

I have to leave for a location shoot in a few minutes, and I need not one but THREE mic booms in fixed positions. Two is not a problem... I have two boom poles and two cradles. In fact three actual booms are not a problem, as I have a little fitting that will let you put a mic holder on an ordinary painter's pole. But I DON'T have three CRADLES.

So... I bopped over to Cabella's outdoors store, and bought a fishing pole holder....

I've used these in the distant past, but not in a long time... works like a charm. I swear these things are made by the same company, there was even one almost exactly like the real mic holder we have, but I went for the smaller one. Same gauge of metal, same thick rubber coating.

Best thing is, a real mic cradle is 40 or 50 bucks. This fishing pole holder was $10.

Love it when low-tech works.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: Boom pole hack
on Aug 2, 2018 at 7:29:10 pm

Great solution, Todd.

I got dumb lucky years ago and picked up a bunch of RAM accessories from a shop that was discontinuing the line. Bought their stock for pennies on the dollar. The ball mounts are awesome, particularly for securely affixing umbrellas to cameras and such here in the Southwest when the sun is such an issue. Was surprised to be cruising the internet one day, and discovered RAM sells a fishing rod holder as well for between $15-20 bucks. That blowout RAM stuff has long been of my favorite solutions for multiple problems!

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]