BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Overnight shoot fees

COW Forums : Business & Career Building

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Ball
Overnight shoot fees
on Jul 11, 2018 at 4:44:26 pm

Hi guys,

I hope you're having a great summer. I'm working on a quote for a restaurant industry client and they are asking to shoot the videos overnight, so we do not disrupt their daytime restaurant business.

Shooting overnight means that we really can't shoot for a different client the day before or the next day, as we need to adjust our body clocks. Do you charge the client for an additional 1/2 day just for that reason, or do you just suck it up and shoot because you want the job?

Greg Ball, President
Ball Media Innovations, Inc.
https://www.ballmediainnovations.com

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Overnight shoot fees
on Jul 11, 2018 at 5:07:31 pm

We don't charge for non-shoot time that is unusable because we are sleepy or mentally hung over from a night shoot.

BUT...

We do have different hourly rates for such, that make up the difference.

We have a base shoot rate, which is the one we usually quote to clients... but that is considering all shooting to be within 9-to-5 and Monday through Friday. Anything outside those perimeters gets a higher rate.

For night stuff, we'd usually go time-and-a-half from 5pm-to-8pm... after that it's double time. Same for early mornings, which is also time-and-a-half unless it's really early (say before 6am) which would be double time.

Same for any Saturday or Sunday shooting, which starts at double.

The vast vast majority of our location shooting is 9-5 M-F, but every now and then something outside that can't be helped... such as when nighttime exteriors are needed. Another frequent culprit is doctors, such as a plastic surgeons group that we work with... they are far too busy shoveling money during regular biz hours to take a break, so we shoot them on very early Sunday mornings. They pay the max premium for that (I think we might charge them triple time for that, not really sure), but I haven't noticed any of their children going without shoes over it.

So... we've found the easiest way is to just charge appropriate higher hourly rates for off-hours shooting, and that's what I'd recommend.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Sep 25, 2018 at 5:24:30 am

Just stick to the norm, man. time and a half after 10 hours. Otherwise, either say yes or no to the hours needed.
And yes you can book before and after that. Be a big boy. Sleep when not booked.

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
on Sep 25, 2018 at 5:49:31 pm

Thanks Grinner, but come on!! "Be a big boy"!?!?

Greg Ball, President
Ball Media Innovations, Inc.
https://www.ballmediainnovations.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Sep 26, 2018 at 3:00:55 pm

Grinner still has that fire in the belly of reckless youth; he'll sleep when he's dead. ☺

I was the same when I was younger. I took the long hours and toughed it out, partly out of the drive to work, partly because when you're young you can recover from the hard hours easier. And we've all done it, to some degree.

I know my friend Grinner is kidding a little bit, but the topic makes me want so say something, not directed specifically to his comment so much, but just in general...

But now I'm in my... (momentary audio dropout)...'s, and I did a 17-hour day yesterday, shooting and driving, no breaks, and yeah, I can function today, but would I be at my best? How much use am I to the next client, when I've burned the candle so long? Or to friends and family? Are they getting my best effort? Am I making the best decisions? Are my skills sufficiently sharp after being degraded by fatigue? Did the client pay for me to be performing at this level, or at a higher level, and am I living up to the expectations?

The overtime is nice and all. I get to send it to mom, or buy myself a new toy from time to time... But too many of these trips in a row, and now you're talking safety hazard, to oneself and others. Never mind the quality of the work you can do. And overtime, I must point out, is a penalty paid for stealing away the quality time you would have spent elsewhere, with people that matter to you. It's a penalty but not really a replacement for those lost moments and at some point in time, when you look back, the trade-off may seem to have been a less-optimal choice. (Insert "Cat's In The cradle" video link here)

Every individual's got to weigh the pros and cons and decide when and where to set a smart limit. to know the real value of the time you give away, and the real value of what they're paying you for it. When you let yourself be pressured into over-extending yourself, the mistakes made can be expensive, in ways you never imagined.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]