BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

A pretty cool thing in Las Vegas

COW Forums : Business & Career Building

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd Terry
A pretty cool thing in Las Vegas
on Jun 20, 2018 at 4:54:52 pm

This isn't a B&M post, but I thought folks in here would find it interesting.

We had a big corporate shoot at a convention in Las Vegas last week (that nightmare is outlined in another post).

There were thousands of people that took over the entire Sands Convention Center at the Palazzo/Venetian, but the thing I found super amazing was the big screen presentations that took place in one of the huge ballrooms.

There were people speaking in there, giving keynote addresses, and backed by a gigantic rear-projected video screen. This screen displayed lots of different things, including pre-produced videos that we had created for this client.

The amazing thing to me though is that this ultra-wide-format presentation was TWO HUNDRED feet wide (I measured it), and was created with a combination of TEN 4K Christie projectors... all perfectly aligned... of course I had to snoop around and check it out...

Aside from the technical complexity of taking one video feed and splitting it up among all those projectors... it is absoulutely dumfounding to me that they could get 10 projectors all correctly set up, with absolute pixel-perfect registration. You could not even begin to detect the "cracks" or seams where one projection ended and the next one began. It was exactly like one big smooth continuous screen.

Maybe this is commonplace over with the "Live Events" people, but I found it pretty dumbfounding. And cool.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
Re: A pretty cool thing in Las Vegas
on Jun 21, 2018 at 5:58:03 pm

Not quite as cool as your example but i did the super wide graphics and animations for this crazy setup in our Monona Terrace building. I have to think it was at least 200 feet and they angled in the two end screens so it would feel more like your were surrounded by the video.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Jun 21, 2018 at 7:28:15 pm

Nice. Id imagine they were using something like Dataton Watchout or Pandoras box to split the video signal which makes that part (relatively) easy, but aligning and colour balancing the projectors is another story....

However, I did see Christie released a project recently that could auto align projectors based on image recognition. I might be wrong about the brand, but sure I'd seen it was Christie.

Co-owner at Pollen Studio
http://www.pollenstudio.co.uk

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jun 21, 2018 at 11:24:00 pm

Yours is way cooler, but here's a crop of a 360 Theta snap I took on July 23rd 2017 at ComiCon Hall H .

It was the anniversary for the show Supernatural - which features classic rock a lot, and in the brightest part of the image, the blown out lights surround a stage where Kansas was playing "Dust in the Wind" live.

Wrap around video covered about 160 degrees of that HUGE hall.

These kind of big money shows are getting really outrageous.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]