BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Mevo anyone?

COW Forums : Business & Career Building

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd Terry
Mevo anyone?
on May 3, 2018 at 4:30:51 pm
Last Edited By Todd Terry on May 3, 2018 at 4:32:30 pm

Hey kids....

So, has anyone used the little Mevo camera for a live event, or otherwise?

Our company usually does single-camera more cinematic-type shoots... but every now and then we are asked to do other things. One client right now is talking to us about shooting some live events and interviews at a convention. They don't have the time/energy/money (mostly money) to do it what we'd consider the "right" way... with full crews and multi cameras at each of these numerous little events that will happen during their three-day convention, so I thought this might be a case where the Mevo could come into play.

It's certainly not the way I'd like to do it... but the small portion of me that is a businessman would rather do it this way than to not get to do it at all.

I've never seen one of these cameras in person though, nor ever talked with anyone who has actually used it for a job.

I did jump over to the live events forum (I think that was maybe the second time I ever even clicked there, since that's really not what we do), but there doesn't seem to be much traffic there and the term "Mevo" yielded zero search results in that forum.

So..... anyone?

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
Re: Mevo anyone?
on May 9, 2018 at 2:14:32 pm

We looked at these too, Todd. The problem with this new tech is that anyone can get into it. Learning curve is pretty simple but how robust in demanding corporate environments? Maybe great for non profits and students, but would you build a serious live event streaming business around a $500 streaming camera device? But the second generation of the camera does look improved.

One other issue is everything is wireless which is ok, but we still prefer wired connections for streaming.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on May 9, 2018 at 2:49:31 pm

Yeah, I hear you. I was just wondering if anyone had actually used it and what the experience was.

We don't really do events like this (nor do I really want to, it's just not the kind of work I want or pursue), and we definitely don't do any streaming (this event wouldn't be streamed, but recorded internally)... but the Mevo would allow us to do a simulated multi-cam shoot with minimal crew that can be turned over immediately with almost no editing, which is one of the job requirements. It's certainly cheap enough to buy and then just toss after the job if we don't need it again (which we probably won't), but don't want to go down that road if it doesn't do a decent job, obviously.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on May 9, 2018 at 10:47:28 pm

The images I saw didn't look that great....it records to a 4K codec which is why it can punch in but like a lot of those entry level 360 cameras the image did not look great. Not bad but not great.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on May 10, 2018 at 10:46:27 pm

Check out the odyssey 7Q Todd. It is a fantastic bit of kit that primarily acts as a prores recorder at up to 4K via hdsdi. However it also can record 4 1080p streams at once, as well as a 5th stream which is your live output. The interface allows you to use touchscreen controls to switch inputs and this mix can be recorded to the internal ssd. Obviously requires 4 good cameras but if it’s a basic gig you could get away with 3 static locked off shots and another that is manned.

Co-owner at Pollen Studio
http://www.pollenstudio.co.uk

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on May 11, 2018 at 1:51:03 am

While you're at it, please feel free to follow the links from the Mevo ads here in the COW πŸ˜‚ and be sure to check out their examples page, https://getmevo.com/shot-by-mevo. They're of varying quality and applicability to what you might be up to, but I'm especially intrigued by this notion of not only simulating a multicam shoot with a single camera, but having it automatically "switched" on the fly using whatever science Livestream has cooked into it.

(And if you dig into it, there's considerable science -- things like motion detection so that it will people moving in the frame, facial recognition so that it switches to the speaker, etc.)

This is one is intentionally at the low-res end of the spectrum -- band practice for a public access TV station --but it's quite an effective demonstration of live-streamed, unattended simulated multicam from a single camera. They used an outboard audio mixer fed into their iPhone (?!?) and it sounds pretty decent.

This is also of course not NewTek or LiveU tech that costs 10 or 20 times as much, so yeah, lower res, but you know what? I'm impressed.

That said, I too am looking to speak to folks who've actually used it myself. Watch this space. 😎

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]