BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Question Re: Legalities of using parts of youtube clips in your own timeline

COW Forums : Business & Career Building

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Darren Martin
Question Re: Legalities of using parts of youtube clips in your own timeline
on Jan 23, 2018 at 10:33:38 am

Hey guys, just curious on the legalities of using a few second snipets of other peoples clips in your own video. Like for example if i want to use a couple of seconds of an olympic athlete winning a race or a bit of a martin luther king speech etc etc? I'm not getting paid by a client but rather building a video to promote what i do, kind of like that steve jobs apple add about people that change the world.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Question Re: Legalities of using parts of youtube clips in your own timeline
on Jan 23, 2018 at 4:19:32 pm

Your Olympic and Dr. King examples are among the hardest of things to get permission for. And no, it doesn't matter that you got them off someone else, or that they are short. You can't legally use them without a clearance, you're not going to get a clearance, and if you still go ahead and use the clips you can expect a take-down notice very quickly, or a "strike" against your account in YouTube's rating system.

You want to make a promo video for what you do, you are going to have to shoot yourself doing what you do. No shortcuts.

Return to posts index

Darren Martin
Re: Question Re: Legalities of using parts of youtube clips in your own timeline
on Jan 23, 2018 at 9:28:43 pm

Ok thanks for the reply, i thought this would be the case. I thought maybe it could be like fiddy cent's case ( i'm pretty sure it was fiddy) where he rapped over bootlegged music and didn't get pulled up on it until he was already famous. I'm only a small fry starting a media business to promote local businesses so i thought it might be able to go under the radar.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Jan 23, 2018 at 9:32:08 pm

With the internet these days and all the roaming spiders, there simply is no "under the radar" anymore.

And the "I have a dream" footage is, as Mark noted, one of the most heavily protected (and expensive to get) clips out there. And in that instance, the rights holders are very very very litigious about it.

Play it safe.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 24, 2018 at 5:55:01 pm

That Steve Jobs ad about changing the world..paid to use that footage.

I work on historical docs, and can tell you that places are pretty darn good at catching those who use their footage without permission if it's aired or put on YouTube. And just because you found it on YouTube, doesn't mean THEY own the license. or if you got it from Pond5, even THEN, they might not own the license. For instance, I had a shot of a 1950s living room at Christmas time in a doc I was onlining. ON the TV in that clip was THE FLINTSTONES. We bought the right to use the home movie footage, but I had to blur out the Flintstones, because we didn't want to pay for the rights to use it...and we WOULD have had to pay.

Places where we use all sorts of clips from everywhere to sell ideas is in Sizzle reels. Things ONLY networks see...and to give them an idea of a show we want to do. In those cases...as long as ONLY the network execs see it, we tend not to license the footage. Only if we then take that show to air, or to the web...where we are publically presenting it. But yes, even that is treading on very thin ice

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Darren Martin
on Feb 3, 2018 at 1:09:53 am

Yeah right, thanks heaps for the info man ☺

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]