BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

can someone here explain Reddit to me

COW Forums : Business & Career Building

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Zelin
can someone here explain Reddit to me
on Jan 15, 2018 at 10:49:26 pm

Hi -
I know that Reddit is one of the most popular web sites in existence. But I just don't get it.
It's not Creative Cow
It's not Provideo Coalition
it's not FCP X
It's not Red User.net
it's not any dedicated forum from AVID, RED, QNAP, Adobe, etc.

Why do people post on Reddit ? Who exactly are they expecting replies from.

What am I missing here. How old am I (ok, you don't need to answer that question).

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: can someone here explain Reddit to me
on Jan 16, 2018 at 3:41:08 pm

As I see it, Its people who like to combine social media with whatever their interest or professed area of expertise is. With the accent on the social media aspect of it. I guess people that might feel intimidated going to a more "pro" forum would feel more at ease posting questions there.

Return to posts index

Salvador Garza
on Jan 16, 2018 at 10:45:18 pm

You are not alone, to this day I don't understand why people go to reddit for professional technical advice. To my surprise there's a large Synology "support" group or community or whatchamacallit

Salvador Garza
http://www.salvadorgarza.com

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Apr 6, 2018 at 5:19:57 pm

It is a rabbit hole - beware the jabberwocky. A lot of the most popular Reddit content seems to repeat every so often. The forums are all over the place from news to things you cannot talk about with your mom.

Forums mostly work the same way: people post links to either news, photos, videos or just a text description of an idea or question. Users post comments, often without reading the linked article. Reddit is sometimes called a "hive mind" because it is not a balanced selection of opinions, but more of an echo chamber of the same opinions in many cases.

Is it for everyone? No. Many users seem to be teens and young adults, but there is a large cross section of interests and in some forums you find very knowledgeable people responding to topics of interest.

Reddit looks like a website made in the early 90s and it might not benefit from a more advanced GUI - it is text-based discussion.

Return to posts index

Jenna Lopez
on May 9, 2018 at 5:20:47 am

I wouldn't really recommend using Reddit for professional use. Much like the other social media websites, it appeals more to users who like to talk about current events and post "memes". Most people use it for casual discussion about their mutual interests like TV shows, movies, technology and even politics. The one thing that I think Reddit has advantage over the other social media sites is that it has forums (called subreddits) that are dedicated to a specific topic.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]