BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Can my client use this for promotion ?

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shaheer Shahid
Can my client use this for promotion ?
on Oct 9, 2017 at 6:45:21 am

Hello,

A client who runs a chain of stores in England has asked me to create a project in which he has provided me with footage which his crew made of various locations in London. All footage is showing giant billboards, some are LED billboards and some are normal hoardings. He basically wants me to put his graphics on those billboards. Question is, can he use that footage? Even if he has shot all the stock him self and no person appears in any footage?

Looking forward on some replies...

Cheers

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
Re: Can my client use this for promotion ?
on Oct 12, 2017 at 7:06:11 pm

I know nothing about UK laws, but here's a thought: It depends on how widely your video will be circulated as to whether you get spotted and as such given "cease order" from someone's lawyer. The buildings and other structures (at least here in the US) are the intellectual property of their owners. In other words, if Harrods is in the shot you would need to obtain a legal release from them. But if your video is for limited use and distribution you may get away with it. Just make sure your client is aware that this is a dicey area and at any point the property owners could demand that the video be taken down. (IMHO!)

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Oct 13, 2017 at 9:39:55 pm

Unless you've got the appropriate release forms, permissions and paid the correct fees for shooting in Piccadilly Circus (presuming this is where it is), you cannot use it for commercial projects.

The city of London manages their real estate very efficiently and aggressively. Check first otherwise you could end up putting your name to something that is not worth the effort.

Co-owner at Pollen Studio
http://www.pollenstudio.co.uk

Return to posts index

Shaheer Shahid
on Oct 16, 2017 at 5:55:50 am

Thanks for replying Tom,

So I searched and found some decent stock on shutterstock for Piccadilly Circus , most shots had the billboards greened out. I asked support if I could use them in a way that I can replace the green with my content, I was told this

"You can edit the footage clip as much as you'd like without any problems.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Kind regards,
Shutterstock Support"

So do you think I can use this? Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Oct 16, 2017 at 3:30:19 pm

Yes, if you've paid shutterstock for the footage and the billboards are supplied with motion tracked green, then use it for whatever you want - shutterstock should give you their terms but it sounds fine

Co-owner at Pollen Studio
http://www.pollenstudio.co.uk

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]