BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Rant with a question

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roy Schneider
Rant with a question
on Aug 15, 2017 at 12:46:55 pm

Good Morning Everyone:
I hope everyone is doing well. This will most likely come across as a rant in the form of a question (sorry it is so long).

I had n eclectic client approach me to create an interesting series of self promotion/business/family videos. This client takes selfie videos (or hires a camera crew) to follow him in all aspects of life, and wanted to organize these videos and turn them into stories. I did 4 or five of these videos with raving reviews. I did a couple business videos with the same reaction. The client asked me to cover his big Summer Party. He wanted it to start with the feel of an entertainment show covering the party (but without the talent or budget for that).

I shoot the party, 2 cameras, DJI Oslo, DJI Phantom. it was wild and fun. I created the video in the same style and manner I had been successfully doing for him and answering all his requests. First response from the client was, "I like it!, Want a few small changes", cool right on par... 3 days later I get "My 16 year old daughter does not like the video" She doesn't like the music, pacing, style, transitions or shot choices". We have to make this appealing to her and her friends as well as my target audience. I request some music choices, re-edit... client, "I don't like this at all, too slow, music doesn't fit", you don't have to listen to my daughter, give your style back. "In fact, make me a couple short web video versions.

Back to the drawing board cut a very fast, Wow web video..."Don't like it at all"

This has been a good client, he is tough because he does not know how to express what he wants. I have been just creating these videos from scratch and he has loved them. I have great footage, and I think the edits have been pretty good, but now I have put way to many hours into posting this thing. Any thoughts of how to proceed?

Thanks for listening/advice
Roy

Long Live the Cow
Roy Schneider
Executive Producer
Vintage Production Group
516-659-4596

Return to posts index

Roger Van Duyn
Re: Rant with a question
on Aug 15, 2017 at 3:34:16 pm

Hey Roy,

Not much I can say to advise. It seems to me you were doing great pleasing the one guy client but have run into the problem of trying to please a "committee." It's a small committee, just two people. But how often do committees easily agree on anything, especially matters of taste?

I feel your pain.

Roger

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
on Aug 15, 2017 at 3:57:45 pm

Roy, Do you have an agreement? If so, what does it say about revisions? Do you offer a couple of rounds and define what those revisions consist of?

For me, I'll continue to make revisions as long as the client is paying me for them. At the end of the day, you want to give the client what they want, but that also includes paying you for your time. If you don't have a written agreement, then chalk it up to experience. You client may decide not to spend more based on his daughter's suggestions....

Greg Ball, President
Ball Media Innovations, Inc.
https://www.ballmediainnovations.com

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Aug 16, 2017 at 11:55:54 am

Ask him/daughter to send you a video link to something that they really like and want to emulate with the footage you have. Give them the option of one final edit to achieve this, and that after that you will have to charge by the hour for modifications and will require a clear brief and specific comments.

Co-owner at Pollen Studio
http://www.pollenstudio.co.uk

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 17, 2017 at 11:07:43 pm

Then they send you the link to a copy of "Avatar". and say: "Do that. For no extra cost."

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Aug 18, 2017 at 8:51:33 pm

Avatar from a kids party. I love a challenge.

Co-owner at Pollen Studio
http://www.pollenstudio.co.uk

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Aug 18, 2017 at 1:35:14 am

Locate the boy (or girl) friend that the 16 year old daughter is listening to telling her it's not "RAD" enough - and said boy or girlfriend can do it MUCH better with the new MacBook that their dad bought them - and kill them.

Or alternatively watch INSTAGRAM with your eyelids taped open for about 60 hours - and make a video just like the ones that are most popular with 12 year olds.

You'll know you've got the "vibe" down when there are so many "glitch" edits in it that you can't figure out what you're looking at - let alone what the story might be or IF there even is one.

Just make sure there are occasional flashes of smoldering looks by pretty teens and a LOT of swirly "artistic" stuff that nobody can figure out.

They WILL approve that.

Your clue will be the use of the term "sicc" when it's watched.

Have fun.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

Roy Schneider
on Aug 18, 2017 at 3:26:07 pm

Thanks for the Feedback Y'all! Gonna have him sit for an hour or 2 and layout his thoughts.
Roy

Long Live the Cow
Roy Schneider
Executive Producer
Vintage Production Group
516-659-4596

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]