BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Using videos edited while employed at a business in portfolio without permission?

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jarrod Brown
Using videos edited while employed at a business in portfolio without permission?
on Jul 25, 2017 at 10:26:52 am

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, if someone could point me to the right section to put this in I'd greatly appreciate it

So a bit of context, I work at a small video production business in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
I am currently the only editor at the business as well as the only employee who isn't a family member

I'm looking to move on to a new workplace due to a number of reasons that I won't get into.

But I'd rather not tip my boss off that I'm looking to leave before I actually get accepted elsewhere.

As the majority of my relevant work that would assist in getting another role is from this job, I'd need to put some of the stuff I've edited on my website.

All the videos are on the business' youtube channel and do not have anything linked back to me
(as I'm doing this under the brand of the business, not as an independent).

Would I be crossing a line legally by having these videos on my website without permission? I'd only be using 2-3 videos just to use as examples to show my editing skills.

Any advice on how to proceed would be most appreciatedĀ I'd like to avoid asking the boss for permission as that would easily tip him off that I'm looking to jump ship.

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
Re: Using videos edited while employed at a business in portfolio without permission?
on Jul 26, 2017 at 2:05:39 pm

Why not point potential employers to clips on your current company's site and point to the ones you had the most to do with the editing. As long as the clips you want to show are already online I'd use those rather than posting new ones to your site.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Using videos edited while employed at a business in portfolio without permission?
on Aug 17, 2017 at 11:11:48 pm

Rich's idea should work... you don't want to come across as ethically "complicated". The other options include, flat-out asking the current place for permission to extract short clips, which yes, may accelerate your departure, but you never know, it might also lead to a raise offer to retain you. Though that's a long bet.

Better yet, as soon as you started thinking about leaving, you should have started building your own demo projects at home, unrelated to the client properties in any way, but using the skills you've learned.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]