BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Client mailed me back my external harddrive incorrectly and it broke...

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Caridi
Client mailed me back my external harddrive incorrectly and it broke...
on Jul 5, 2017 at 7:35:47 pm

I mailed an event video client of mine a 2GB Slim Seagate external HDD with the raw footage I owed them. I mailed it with bubble wrap and marked it fragile. When I received it back, it was just shipped plain in a small box with ample room for it to bump around. Of course, it is now dysfunctional.

Is it worth starting a conflict with the client over this, or should I just take the $80 hit as my own fault (for not including shipping instructions or a clause in the contract about damaged materials)? Could a compromise be to ask the client if they had shipping insurance on the item? Thanks. This is for a $1200 Bar Mitzvah shoot/edit.

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
Re: Client mailed me back my external harddrive incorrectly and it broke...
on Jul 5, 2017 at 9:58:59 pm

Probably too late now, but I either ask the client to send me a drive and I load the footage and send it back using their FedEx number. Otherwise I purchase a drive, charge the client for it, and ship for an additional fee.

It would be rare for a client to send me back my drive.

Greg Ball, President
Ball Media Innovations, Inc.
https://www.ballmediainnovations.com

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Jul 5, 2017 at 10:09:12 pm

I'm a little confused about the size issue.

Not to second guess and play Monday-morning armchair quarterback here, but if you only had such a small amount of footage/data (2GB), why didn't you just send it on a five-buck throwaway thumb drive?

In this case, I'd probably just write it off....

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Jason Caridi
on Jul 5, 2017 at 10:40:37 pm

Oh! Sorry, I meant 2TB. It was an $80 2TB drive.

Yeah, I might just take this as a learning experience and take the hit. I'll see if it was insured to at least $50 through USPS, but am not counting on it. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
on Jul 5, 2017 at 10:45:47 pm

Todd - I'm thinking he meant a 2TB drive. There's not a lot of raw footage you can put on a 2 GB Thumb drive.

Greg Ball, President
Ball Media Innovations, Inc.
https://www.ballmediainnovations.com

Return to posts index

Martin Curtis
on Jul 6, 2017 at 1:25:03 pm

Take the hit. The negative feelings you'll leave them with if you even mention it just aren't worth it. If you want the drive back next time, include a foolproof way of them sending it back to you with zero hassle to them.

Shooters we occasionally use charge us for the hard drive, or offer to drop the footage around for transfer (they're close).

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jul 10, 2017 at 4:54:09 pm

Take the hit and learn from it, to add the cost of a drive to each job, going forward. Or maybe seek a cloud-based transfer solution next time. Of course, you also clone a backup of everything *before* you send the drives.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]