BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

why my wife is awesome (and why so many of you are losers - including me)

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Zelin
why my wife is awesome (and why so many of you are losers - including me)
on Jun 26, 2017 at 9:51:22 pm

Hi -
today, I discovered that when I went to my website - bobzelin.com, I could see the pages, but I could not see any of the images (the facilities that I built). This is a Google Sites website that I pay $10 dollars a year for. It was build by my wife, who knows nothing about computers, and knows nothing about any of the technical aspects of what is "behind the curtain". But she got me a little cheap ass Google website going for me.

SO - today, I noticed that I could not see any of the images on my website. And (just like you) I called my "tech expert" and said "why can't I see any of the images on my website" - (which has been on line for years).

After spending hours on the web, researching this, she found that instead of http://www.bobzelin.com, it was inserting
http://www.bobzelin.com. (do you see the period at the end ?) So I google searched that and saw that it was the difference between an Absolute DNS and a Relative DNS (I have no idea of what that even means).

So I told my wife these facts (as if I know what a relative DNS or Absolute DNS even means). So she spent even MORE hours researching this, and found that if we went into the host for Google, I could rename my URL from
bobzelin.com. to bobzelin.com (do you see the period at the end, which I never included - it just showed up one day) -
and I modified the name to NOT have the period at the end - and NOW, I can see all the images !

AND what does all of this mean - it means that if you are not willing to sit at the damn computer ALL DAY LONG and figure out why you can't get "xyz" file to play back, or you can't export "xyz" file, or you can't do "this and that" - the solution is that you need to SIT AT THE COMPUTER all day long, and FIGURE IT OUT because if MY WIFE can figure this stuff out, and she has NO knowledge of our industry, but was willing to put the time into it (using Google) - and YOU (Mr. Professional Video Editor/Graphics Person) CANT figure it out - then you are a loser ! (and yes, I am a loser too, because everything thinks that I know everything, and of course, that is not true).

I guess I owe her a new pair of shoes, or something.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: why my wife is awesome (and why so many of you are losers - including me)
on Jun 26, 2017 at 11:00:31 pm

Yes, Bob owes at least a new pair of shoes...

BUT....

And let me preface this by saying, I am sincerely not trying to be snarky or mean-spirited... just trying to make a sincere observation...

Bob prides himself with being the COW's resident curmudgeon, and while on his ever-present soapbox he rallies against things (often entertainingly) that frequently include the younger generation (with their darn rock-n-roll music and hula hoops), the I-want-it-cheap-fast-n-free attitude of so many, the the-neighbor-kid-can-do-it-for-ten bucks mentality, and a new wave of clients who don't see the value of hiring a professional, like Bob, to do a complicated and important job when some youngster out there is able to limp through it for a tenth the price.

That's all well and good, and I agree with virtually all of it.

But is it worth nothing that the very same guy apparently eschews hiring a professional graphic/web designer for his business, but instead relies on his wife whom he admits knows nothing about our business to put together (and I'm assume is satisfied with) what he calls "a little cheap ass Google website".....?

I know the next time I have some complicated networking job, or have a colleague with the same needs who really should be hiring a high-level pro.... I know exactly who I'm going to recommend....

Bob's wife.

Just sayin' :)

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Bob Gifford
on Jun 27, 2017 at 1:57:40 pm

Many many years ago, I bought a "Designing a Website for Dummies" book. It was the best decision I made for my business life. Not only did it help me build my own sites at first, then with a real coder, make my own updates, and get me into search engine optimization, but I built e-Learning sites to host videos and synchornized powerpoint (video webinars) for client companies, solving their internal and external communication problems, while expanding my business portfolio. I learned the difference between graphic designers who could put together pretty sites, and coders who could "design" to get hits and business leads. For me the DIY approach paid off and I would HIGHLY recommend if you are a business owner of any kind to learn the basics of your primary point of contact with clients and future clients.

Personally I think html coding / website design should be a must for all entrepreneurs and mandatory in high schools or college business courses.

PS Now before you go a lookin' let me save you time. I haven't updated my own site in years. On the summer to do list.

Best,
Bob

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 28, 2017 at 4:15:14 pm

Wives are awesome. Mine makes everything she touches, better in some way. She makes ME a better person than I otherwise am, and makes me strive to be worthy. She helps make our kids better than we are. She's my sounding board, chief advisor, all-around consultant and guide, all on top of being her own person. I don't think our wives' value and importance can ever be overstated. And mine is totally NOT standing over my shoulder as I type this of my own volition. Really. Can I get an "Amen"?

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
on Jul 5, 2017 at 4:45:04 pm

Amen!! My wife also is there to support me, console me, watch my videos, and soften my emails. Wives are the best!!

Greg Ball, President
Ball Media Innovations, Inc.
https://www.ballmediainnovations.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]