BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Contract for several social media videos

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jordon Herdman
Contract for several social media videos
on Jun 8, 2017 at 12:46:33 am

So I have an upcoming contract that requires 4 different videos to be filmed and edited at different times of the month, maybe over 2 months. Each shoot could possibly have 1 or 2 videos made out of it. But since I don't know how many videos I'll be making I'm not sure if the contract should be

a) A single contract with a larger budget in order the compensate for more videos. If just one video per shoot is made then I come in under budget for my client. Rather then pricing it out for 1 video per shoot and then after saying to the client that I'm making another video and the client shells out more money.

b) Make a contract for shooting time and once I know how many videos will be made I make a second contract for editing. How ever I'll need to confirm that my client won't need the videos as I shoot them since they are for social media. In that case make a contract for each video?

Some advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Also, one more thing for more complicated contracts where exactly can I go to get it checked?

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
Re: Contract for several social media videos
on Jun 10, 2017 at 1:35:06 pm

Jordan, IMHO I suggest that you create a contract that covers your shooting time and also a minimum of the 4 videos that you'll be editing. You need to determine the length of the 4 videos and include the assumed lengths into your agreement.

Make sure you include everything that will be provided and also state that if more video shooting or editing is required, you'll provide change orders along the way.

Make sure that your agreement calls for a deposit to be paid, and that the the balance due must be paid before the client receives the final videos.

Greg Ball, President
Ball Media Innovations, Inc.
https://www.ballmediainnovations.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 13, 2017 at 7:30:52 pm

My variation on Greg's advice is to get a separate contract on the shooting first, then one for the edits.

One reason for this is: any expenses you incur in the shooting won't have to wait for a bunch of editing to be reimbursed, see? Shoot, get paid. Next, comes editing and getting paid for the edit. And if there is uncertainty over how many pieces to cut from what was shot, well, again, at least your shooting expenses are already paid.

This is how i would approach any project where the post is not well-thought-out or has too much potential for changes.

The other way pros do this is one fee for the whole shebang, paid in stages like thirds or fourths. First third may be larger than an actual 33.3 percent, because it has toi cover all the advance expenses and any shooting supplies, plus any crew expenses and vendors.

If you ever expect any longevity in this business, the rule to live by is; never screw your subcontractors and suppliers and crew - they must get paid, even if/when you don't. If you don't do that, you will have nobody willing to help you with the next project that comes up. If you always follow the rule, the best people around will always be willing to give you a little leeway. It's about building a solid reputation for meeting commitments, in a business that is more closed-knit than people expect.

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
on Jun 15, 2017 at 3:26:09 pm

While I appreciate Mark's different approach, I usually find it difficult to get a client to sign ONE contract appropriately, let alone two.

What I suggest is that you make sure that all of your shooting expenses are covered with the initial deposit. Sometimes that can be 50%, 60% or more of the total project cost. Editing is usually within your control, and of course the client does not receive the finished video until you've received payment in full.

Greg Ball, President
Ball Media Innovations, Inc.
https://www.ballmediainnovations.com

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Jun 16, 2017 at 10:26:42 pm

[Greg Ball] "the client does not receive the finished video until you've received payment in full."

Meaning: burn timecode and your logo into the video. (Sometimes I agonize on where this should go but it should be done.)

Return to posts index

Jordon Herdman
on Jun 21, 2017 at 1:02:22 am

I appreciate all the advice, its very good. I'm glad to hear the responses as I've never had a contract this big before. It's good to hear from people who have more experience. I'm also glad I thought of these ideas before anyone suggested them, makes me feel like I'm on the right track.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]