BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Insurance for a 3 day shoot - subcontractors covered ?

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Jacana
Insurance for a 3 day shoot - subcontractors covered ?
on Mar 21, 2017 at 3:34:02 pm

I have to hire 4 contractors for a 3 day shoot. Was wondering what type of insurance is normally required. I'm responding to an RFP and they mention "insurance" I presume liability insurance, don't need gear insurance?

- Can one get this type on insurance for say just the duration of the shoot
- would my insurance cover the subcontractors?
- what range are we looking at there $100, $500 $1000 per person?
- how long does it take once one applies for insuranc ?

Unfortunately it's a chicken before the egg type of situation, I have not won the bid so can't get any of this insurance or hire anyone until I know if I've won - RFPs such and it's a contact I have so not just a random one sent to me.

Someone mentioned Marsh?

Any feedback welcome.

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
Re: Insurance for a 3 day shoot - subcontractors covered ?
on Mar 22, 2017 at 5:44:29 pm

[Richard Jacana] "hey mention "insurance" "

Short Term Production Insurance is what you're after. The client will determine how much you will need. Please be aware of the different kinds of insurances, just to name a few:

-- General Liability
-- Worker's Comp
-- Loss Payee
-- Errors and Omissions

[Richard Jacana] "Can one get this type on insurance for say just the duration of the shoot
- would my insurance cover the subcontractors?
- what range are we looking at there $100, $500 $1000 per person?
- how long does it take once one applies for insuranc ?"

Yes.

Yes, if it's written properly.

The money is too complicated to calculate because each kind of insurance has a different underwriting. For example, workers comp is dependent on how much the subs are being paid. General Liability will take into account where you're actually at -- are you on a boat, for example? The details are very detailed, and so you need to contact an insurance agent who specializes in Short Term Production Insurance, in the State (US, here) you're doing business.

The time it takes again is up to the Agent and his or her underwriters.

There are other details you need to consider (and I mention this because you're asking a particular question) since this is a business and the goal of YOUR business is to generate profit. You will most definitely need a deposit from your client well in advance of the shoot so that you can pay all of your hard costs; plus, you need to live -- food, rent, etc -- you cannot wait to get paid until the client's account's payable department finally gets all the paperwork together and finally finds your invoice -- 90 days after you've delivered.

Most clients hate paying the deposit upfront not because they're bad people but because they've decided to make a video
and often (not always but often) they do not control the purse strings. Your contact (whoever it might be) will have to get everything approved or they will look bad -- and they will always blame you the vendor if and when things go (not even bad) just mediocre.

Return to posts index

Richard Jacana
on Mar 22, 2017 at 6:08:45 pm

I was quoted $1500 for three days for a crew of 4 people for people. This is actually AARP if so I would just include it as a line item, sounds ridiculous who knows and folks who have insurance companies I can call contact details are welcome

Yes a regular client will alway penny a deposit first,
in this case they are talking about 60 days. Government contracts…!

Return to posts index

Richard Jacana
on Mar 22, 2017 at 6:18:17 pm

Sorry that should be request for proposal not a a AARP – goddamn Siri!

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 23, 2017 at 3:26:15 pm

You may want to check in your state: some states have a "prompt payment act" clause in government contracts which says that if you offer an early-payment discount, they MUST take advantage of that discount and put your bill at the front of the line for payment, and the obverse of these laws is that if they are late paying you, they gotta pay interest at the prevailing rate. Terrible if you're a struggling small business. A lucrative investment akin to a short term bond, if you're big and rich and have enough working capitol to float them.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]