BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Tips on starting a production company

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robin Walker
Tips on starting a production company
on Mar 17, 2017 at 7:28:34 pm

Hi All,
I wanted to share a new blog series I started at Hurricane Images Inc. Having recently “transitioned” from being a part-time (dabbling) professional to starting my own media production company, I decided to document the 40 week process on my tutorial blog. The 12-week series, Going Pro, will cover the tools, strategies, paperwork, and inspiration I used in 2016 to make things happen. It’s not quite a step-by-step guide to starting a production company-- and it’s by no means an authoritative guide-- but I thought it would be helpful to others that are either making the same leap or re-evaluating their companies. And I’d love to have more experienced professional chime in with their insights. I know that many of the people on this site have more experience in running a company.

Over the past 10 days I’ve covered the background of my transition, why and how to pick your “niche,” case studies in Super-Niches, and identifying your the characteristics that make up your competitive edge. In the upcoming posts I’ll talk about how to organize your company’s launch by working back to front; considerations around working capital; how to land your first clients; contracts and invoices (sexy); equipment basics; marketing and outreach approaches; and personal perspectives on making the transition. Basically much of what I thought about as I worked towards the goal of starting a self-sustaining company.

Just to be clear, there’s no sign-up, I’m not selling anything-- no guides or workshops or ebooks-- and my blog isn’t monetized for ads, either. It isn’t even attached to my company website. I’m just sharing info. I’ve found that documenting my “learnings” is the best way to refine them and make them stick. You can find Hurricane Images working blog (I have a separate company blog) at: http://www.100blownhighlights.blogspot.com.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]