BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Footage Rights and what to do

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rich Rubasch
Footage Rights and what to do
on Mar 3, 2017 at 1:32:10 am

Here's one. Manufacturing client....three years of footage we captured fabricating and installing their products. Only contract signed was for the deliverables...product and install videos. So far so good.

Client starts to push back on budgets and starts to threaten that if we are not low enough they will shop the work around....fair enough.

A new project will use previously shot footage, all shot by my company. I will submit bids on the editing, however the client has also requested that I copy all the footage for that product ( 5 days of shooting with two cameras ) to a hard drive so he can shop it around with other potential editors. I let him know that we own the footage and he's not too happy about that.

I shoot a quick email to my lawyer and he confirms that we own the work product and he owns the rights to use the videos...in other words the footage is mine.

I generally follow Walter's method and give client's the footage no questions asked, but in this case he wants it to literally take to the lowest bidder....which doesn't sit well with me today. I might feel different tomorrow!

I have also given this client over $5000 in discounts on invoices at his request on the last three projects...it's getting frustrating. How low can I go!

I am thinking I will offer him the footage for $5000 with a caveat. I won't deposit the check. I'll hold on to it, and if he works with the low bid guy and they screw it up, he can come back and we'll get it done just as we have done all along for an agreed upon rate. And give him the check back. But if the lowballer pulls it off then he keeps the footage and I deposit the check.

Didn't need this stress today! Thoughts?

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Footage Rights and what to do
on Mar 4, 2017 at 6:41:31 am

Seems pretty pono to me, brah. With the understanding that if he likes the lowball route, you guys are done and going separate ways from that point on.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]