BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

licensing cost for art video

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sarah Schela
licensing cost for art video
on Feb 20, 2017 at 3:55:39 pm

Hi there,

I would like to get some advices from you concerning licensing a video I have created in the past.
this video is a part of an art installation I created last year and someone is interested to use the video (>10 minutes)
for his workshops, to show the participants.

I have never licensed videos I created and am not sure where I should start.
I googled a bit and probably a contract for 1 year and a one-off fee would be best for a small business.
(rather than a % or the workshop incomes etc.)
It is not commercial, not will it be sold. It is more for educational purposes, and "private" in a group of workshop participants.

But to talk in numbers. How much should that be?
300$, 500$, ... 1000$? what might be criteria to get a realistic approach?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: licensing cost for art video
on Feb 21, 2017 at 2:51:19 pm

How much does it cost to attend the workshop? How many times willthe workshop be held? What's the typical attendance?

Return to posts index

Sarah Schela
on Feb 21, 2017 at 8:00:54 pm

Hi Mark,

thanks for your response.

I am not aware of the costs.
The workshop will be held approx. 3 times.
I think the amount of people will be 15 to 20 people.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Feb 21, 2017 at 8:04:55 pm

For something held so few times and with such a small number of students, I don't think you could ask for much... maybe a couple hundred bucks.

Any more than that and I think the instructor would balk, considering it is just for a small private educational thing. They might even think that is too much, but it's a starting point.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Sarah Schela
on Feb 21, 2017 at 8:08:28 pm

Hi Todd,

thanks for your swift response. Even this small comment helps me a lot, thanks so much.
Yes, it is not too big. But it might increase. So also limiting the time is an idea I am thinking of.

I have a better idea now.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Feb 21, 2017 at 9:00:41 pm

Do you have an hard costs to cover?

Return to posts index

Sarah Schela
on Feb 21, 2017 at 9:08:29 pm

do you mean equipment, etc.? Only that I used my camera and lenses and computer for editing, but nothing particularly I bought for this piece.

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Feb 21, 2017 at 9:26:08 pm

Yes equipment, but also insurance, shipping. When you mentioned art installation, I was unsure exactly what you're sending, for example.

Return to posts index

Sarah Schela
on Feb 23, 2017 at 12:58:15 pm

Hi everyone, thanks.
I think I sorted out a price I can be happy with.

Another question then came up:
what about handing over the video file? I need to copy it and I need to write a contract of course, how this file is only allowed to be used, etc. but how can I guarantee that the file is not shown more times/longer times than we arranged? to delete the file at the end when the whole project is over for the client etc.

Is that all a matter of signing/acting according to the contract and trust?

Thanks for the advice.

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Feb 23, 2017 at 11:31:44 pm

[Sarah Schela] "
Is that all a matter of signing/acting according to the contract and trust?
"

For the most part, yes.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Feb 24, 2017 at 12:01:31 am

" how can I guarantee that the file is not shown more times/longer times than we arranged?"

There is virtually no way to guarantee that. Any time you turn a file over to someone, put it on a download site, even just put it on YouTube, it can be copied... and easily. And if the person receiving it is unscrupulous there's technically nothing to prevent them from showing it longer or more times than agreed upon, and you'd never know it.

I literally think the only way to ensure that, is to never give them the files... period. You'd have to show up at the event(s) in person, with the files in hand, on a flash drive or external drive, play them from your drive without ever actually transferring them to your client's system, and then leave with them when done.

Obviously, that is way too much trouble for a couple hundred bucks, unless they could make it worth your while.

I think you either just have to deal with people who you 100% trust, or charge them enough so that if they do additionally use your files without your permission, that you are so well compensated that it won't bug you too much.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Sarah Schela
on Feb 24, 2017 at 12:16:56 pm

Hi Richard,

thanks for your input. I completely hear what you mean.

I am glad I know this person I am doing this business with, but I also wondered how it will be in a more objective way. Licensing (digital) videos is quite a difficult thing. There is no guarantee, unless if you are by chance stumbling over some publishing without your notification/consent, or someone tells you.

Thanks everyone for this interesting discussion!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]