BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Video to Editing Ratio

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jon-Michael Brown
Video to Editing Ratio
on Feb 14, 2017 at 6:52:52 pm

What is an average Shooting time to Editing time ratio? I'm going out on my own after having some steady contracts and I'm building up my rates for project based clients. I.e. So if I shoot for for 1 day (8-10 hours) how many days of editing will it typically take to get a finished project with graphics and all. Does 1:5 sounds right?

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
Re: Video to Editing Ratio
on Feb 14, 2017 at 8:18:52 pm

In my opinion, there is no ratio. You can shoot 8-10 hours for a 2-3 minute edited video. It depends on what is included in the shoot and the edit. Are there graphics, effects, lots of quick cuts, music editing,

We determine our shoot costs, and then we base the editing fees on how long it will take to edit what we've shot and what the client is looking for.

You can have a 30 second ad spot take 3-4 days of editing. You really need to look at the project as a whole and determine how much you can edit in a given time frame.

Greg Ball, President
Ball Media Innovations, Inc.
https://www.ballmediainnovations.com

Return to posts index

Jon-Michael Brown
on Feb 14, 2017 at 8:28:42 pm

Thanks Greg I was just trying to remember what a rule of thumb was. I'm coming out a very serious illness that has pulled me out of the business for over a year. So my memory is kind of fuzzy. But it seemed like perviously 1 day of full production took about 5 days of full on post to get it completed as I recall. Anyone one else concur with this rule of thumb thanks?

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Feb 14, 2017 at 10:23:42 pm

Like Greg said, I think the rule of thumb is probably only good for specific situations and workflows. If you remember that 1:5 used to be the norm for the work you did a year ago then it will probably still be the norm today assuming no variables have change much.

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
on Feb 14, 2017 at 10:31:05 pm

I'm glad you're doing better? Welcome back!

I mean what you're describing can work, but really I find that rules of thumb work by coincidence only. Sometimes you'll overestimate and sometimes you'll be way under. What's fair to your clients?

As i said before, it really depends on the length you expect the edited final video to be.

Greg Ball, President
Ball Media Innovations, Inc.
https://www.ballmediainnovations.com

Return to posts index

Jon-Michael Brown
on Feb 15, 2017 at 2:50:32 pm

Thanks guys, I was just trying to remember. Most clients can't comprehend the post process and are flabbergasted that it takes "so" long. Greg, I am doing better, I really appreciate the kind words. I was thinking for a very polished 30 second commercial, with music, sound design, and color grading, some graphics, the whole works... This was helpful, I'll just have to get my next project going and estimate from there for future ones. Any advice or shotcuts on getting new clients? I have a website, cards, references, etc... Going after former clients and cold calls. Thanks for all the advice!

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Feb 15, 2017 at 3:12:44 pm

When they complain about shooting to edit ratios, point out that Apocalypse Now often was chugging along at a whopping one cut per DAY. That's one cut from maybe five iso cameras, reviewed, chosen, inserted, previewed in context with what was before and after,then either kept or removed and re-tried with another shot.

The fastest job I ever cut was a one-hour straight-cuts machine-to-machine VHS thing, chopping up a VHS reel into a master. I booked an hour and a half and was done with the one-hour master in an hour and ten. Obviously, didn't have time to play the whole thing back right then. And I walked in with accurate logs and a script. Something very straightforward and uncomplicated could be done, at bare minimum, in about 2.5 times the running time. Something more "artistic" where you have to cut and try things out plus build composites, tweak color, levels, make graphics, etc. is all going to take longer, more like 10 times or 20 times the final runtime.

News is it's own animal, and takes exactly as long as they give you time for. Always.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Feb 18, 2017 at 8:27:23 pm

My 2 cents:

Given the same exact project...

I'll have something tangible done for a client who has agreed to a decent plan in advance of shooting, who understands the production process and lets me do my job- probably in a half-day.

If the client does NOT have a clue - but is generally so busy they they ONLY interrupt me at regularly scheduled meetings - that would expand to about 2 days.

And if that same client wishes to actively participate in the production process on a daily basis - expand the schedule to at least a week.

For the SAME client wishes to actively participate on a daily basis - and thinks it's TOTALLY COOL to re-think decisions and start over because they just saw something cool on TV or at the movies they'd like to try on THEIR project - expect the post schedule to expand to a month.

My 2 cents.

; )

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]