BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Clients wanting to see uncut footage to "get the creative juices going"

COW Forums : Business & Career Building

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nakean Wickliff
Clients wanting to see uncut footage to "get the creative juices going"
on Oct 31, 2016 at 5:22:53 pm

Do you guys ever charge to upload this kind of footage. I shot some interviews a while back and have created a finished product. We are getting to ramp production back up again to finish a previous project already started. I mentioned there was great interview footage and they know I got b-roll at several other locations.

They are now asking if they can see the b-roll and interview footage to get the juices flowing. It takes work to open up Premiere and create a sequence, sync audio and mulitcam shots, find the b-roll and compile that into a sequence and then upload said footage which takes up resources and bandwith.

Do I charge for this?

Thanks guys and gals.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Clients wanting to see uncut footage to "get the creative juices going"
on Oct 31, 2016 at 6:14:48 pm

[Nakean Wickliff] "Do I charge for this?"

Well... we sure would.

I'd charge whatever your usual hourly suite rate is to do the work. It's not like a one-button click "send me this" kinda thing.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Oct 31, 2016 at 9:20:03 pm

Of course you bill it.

I would also make sure the raw footage had time code and/or a logo "bug" superimposed on it, to prevent them just stealing it. I go with time code, because you can legitimately say you're making it easier for them to give you exact notes on what they want and don't want. It just happens to also spoil the video for pirates, by coincidence.

Return to posts index

Ned Miller
on Nov 1, 2016 at 1:16:37 am

I am not clear, it seems you're doing more work for them? If they are a client who does not represent current or future business, then yes, I'd charge them for an hour or two. If they review the raw interviews does that mean they will choose takes and ask you to edit? If so, I would bury what I would charge them for the burned in TC interviews in another part of the invoice, so it's not obvious. I feel it would seem as if I was nickel and diming them if I was already doing a larger project for them. Just bury it.

What used to be known as Clip Wrap is now called Edit Ready and makes clips in different codecs quick and easy. You could make it so small and low resolution they couldn't use it for editing.

That's my two cents.

Ned Miller
Chicago Videographer
http://www.nedmiller.com

Return to posts index

Nakean Wickliff
on Nov 1, 2016 at 1:21:30 am

I told them I'm not charging them but did let them know what it entailed. I feel as you do, since this is a small part of a larger project(they have since referred me to to two other paying clients) It needs to be buried or non existent. Yes, it's a total PIA the I want to keep them happy. They will not be choosing clips from any of this but want to recall what we have to add to it and figure out what else needs to be filmed.

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Nov 4, 2016 at 8:40:09 pm

[Nakean Wickliff] "I'm not charging them"

That makes sense to me -- adding value to your service. Honestly the "work" is pretty easy, and I often call it a string out for review. Only 1 client has ever actually screened the whole thing, and he hand-wrote an EDL. haha. That actually made my job easier especially when it came time for approvals with bean counters and finance because it was his cut that he defended.

I've had other clients say, "Oh man. I cannot watch all of that footage. Just send me the rough cut." Then after they screen the rough, they're like "How did you do that?!" And it's appreciative because they see how the string out became an edit, by me.

Having said all of that: I have been following Mr. Susko's advice for several years now and I definitely burn the timecode, although I ran into a terrible dilemma when a creative director sent the string out to the client who had not the imagination to understand what they were seeing, and we lost that client. Based on that experience (a very bad experience), I much prefer to have the client screen the footage in the suite, sitting next to me. I can provide even better service, like coffee and snacks and explanation, and if the need calls for it, they'll be all "oooohhhh I like that shot," and can immediately mark it. I take the opportunity to discuss fonts and colors also.

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on Nov 4, 2016 at 9:39:29 pm

Ugggh! I do everything I can to keep clients away from raw footage. The one exception is watching a playback during the shoot. Then I'm happy to show them that a take worked, but NOT everything.

VERY FEW clients have any idea what raw footage actually looks like and represents. Showing it to them can get responses like "why was so much time wasted" and "we thought you were better than this." It's much, much safer IMHO to shield them from the raw stuff and concentrate on showing preliminary segment cuts and then use that input to help influence the final. Again, IMHO.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Nov 4, 2016 at 9:49:48 pm

To be a little bit fair, if the clients had sufficient imagination, they wouldn't need us in the first place. ?

I'm reminded of a a story I've told before: of an ad agency in Chicago that created an "animatic" storyboard to show the client ( I believe it was a grocery or food company) what the proposed spot could look like in advance. Spot was your tyical mom talking to fellow moms about how to feed her growing kids right and save money and time, blah blah blah... This was black and white ink pen drawn line art, of a mom and her kids, interspersed with product shots, using actual voice-overs for all the parts, with music and sound effects, and only crudely given basic motion by the use of camera moves into and across the art cards. Simple stuff. Basically an illustrated radio commercial.

Somehow, it captured the client's fancy, and they considered the animatic demo to be the finished spot, and it ran for several weeks in the local market. The ad agency guys were horrified and made the butt of jokes by their peers, but the checks cashed just the same.

Return to posts index

Nakean Wickliff
on Nov 6, 2016 at 3:57:40 pm

Thank you so much for all your input. They changed it to just want the uncut interviews. I explained the time it takes to sync audio, two cameras, render, and upload. Told them I wasn't going to charge this time.... In the end, I've billed thousands of dollars worth of jobs from the company and they have since given my name to several other companies I'm now in pre production with. Bottom line, we have a relationship and I know and trust they will not do anything with the footage. I have completed other works with them so they have a very good idea and trust my final decisions regarding the edits.

Thanks again for all the helpful responses. Everything I send that isn't finished has an overlay timecode, not to prevent sharing but to help keep us all on the same page when it comes to comments and concerns.

Return to posts index

Nakean Wickliff
on Nov 6, 2016 at 3:59:30 pm

In the end, I'm going to have to sync all this footage in order to edit it anyway, so the only extra work is the rendering and uploading. Simple as queuing in media encoder and setting it to automatically upload to vimeo as I run out to grab lunch or run errands.

Return to posts index

Patrick Ortman
on Nov 8, 2016 at 11:17:36 pm

Timecode in big numbers over the video, and charge by the hour or whatever your deal is with them. They do not work for free, and if they're a good client they will not expect you to, either. We all know that doing this kind of thing takes real time.

Los Angeles and New York video production for businesses and brands:
http://patrickortman.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]