BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Can anyone tell me how to give copyrights

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
William AddisCan anyone tell me how to give copyrights
by on Sep 22, 2016 at 3:35:17 pm

Hi, I am new to freelance work. I designed A Logo Opener in After Effects and Logo Design in Photoshop. Buyers asking me to give copyrights for that files. How to give copyrights for these files. Anyone explain me about this?

Return to posts index

Bill DavisRe: Can anyone tell me how to give copyrights
by on Oct 2, 2016 at 6:16:10 pm
Last Edited By Bill Davis on Oct 4, 2016 at 4:02:10 pm

You don't say where you're located, but the intellectual property laws that govern this vary from country to country.
So depending on where you live, this might be different.
Generally in the US only - Title 17 of the US code governs copyrights. And it basically says that whoever creates unique intellectual property automatically becomes the rights holder to it - unless there is a formal, contractual transfer of those rights to another party.

To help you understand some of the specifics, you might want to do some research on two subjects that also touch on this concept. The first is "work for hire" which legally governs how copyrights might automatically transfer if you do creative work as an employee of a larger organization.

The other widely mis-understood concept is "fair use" which may allow someone who is not the primary copyright holder of a creative work to make VERY limited legal use of that work in VERY specific circumstances.

But the basic general answer is: If you hold a copyright to creative work, you would transfer your rights to someone else via a specific, written agreement that both parties negotiate and sign. It might be a part of a larger agreement like an employment contract or specific work for hire agreement - but without anything specifically written to the contrary, whoever actually creates the unique, new work automatically owns the copyright to it.

Hope that helps.

Creator of XinTwo -
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved