BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Customer Service

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd TerryCustomer Service
by on Sep 21, 2016 at 4:54:37 pm

We're all so used to complaining about bad customer service... it's nice to be able to mention the opposite on occasion.

I had purchased two little 64 gig microSD cards from B&H Photo. I don't use these for anything other than our DJI Osmo X5 camera, so when they arrived a few weeks ago I unpackaged them and put the cards in the camera case, without much of a thought.

Only when I thought I might need them a few days ago did I bother to format them for the first time. It was then I discovered that one of them was the 64GB card that I ordered, but the other was only 16GB. The original packaging was long since gone, and the cards are so miniscule that I simply didn't notice the tiny tiny type on them....

I was already mentally geared up for my argument with B&H, I thought I might have to do some convincing and pull out the "Do you know how much money I've spent through the years?" card... since the order was some time back and I no longer had the packaging or anything. The cards are cheap, but hey, I wanted what I paid for. I logged onto the B&H website just to get a contact number for customer service... and saw the "live chat" button on the screen and said to myself what the heck, I'll give that a try.

I connected with a customer service person on live chat, told them my issue, and they said "no problem." It was about a one-minute conversation. I had to do zero convincing, proving, or pleading.

Next day, FedEx dropped off a replacement card.

I know plenty of people have both good and bad stories about B&H... but I wanted to share this one as I think they really jumped on the issue... even though it was the tiniest of low-dollar problems.

This time, I'll say hats off to them. And beards off.

Todd Terry
Creative Director
Fantastic Plastic Entertainment, Inc.

Return to posts index

Steve KownackiRe: Customer Service
by on Sep 21, 2016 at 6:43:13 pm

Ya know, Todd, it may be a little inexpensive thing, but they gave you a memorable experience. We need to all do this when we think about how we treat our clients and customers. The playing field is pretty level with most of our tools being marketed (and accessible) directly to our clients anymore. (Thinking about live streaming services in particular today—not only marketed to me, but my customers as well.) The only differentiator is how we handle our customers and the experience we give them.

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Customer Service
by on Sep 22, 2016 at 1:38:46 pm

I've kept this little card on my desk near the phone since the 80's:

"Facts about Customer Service"

It costs 6 times more to attract a new customer than it does to keep an existing one.

A typical dissatisfied customer will tell 8 to 10 people about their problem.

Seven of ten complaining customers will do business with you again if you resolve the complaint in their favor.

If you resolve the complaint on the spot, 95% will do business again.

Of those customers who quit, 68% do so because of an attitude of indifference by the company or a specific individual.

So to be successful, OWN the problem, apologize, offer a remedy and even if this transaction loses money, you will make it up in repeat business and customer loyalty, while avoiding a lot of bad publicity.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved