BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Article: Seven Ways to Make Your Own Luck in The Film Industry

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John "Pliny" EremicArticle: Seven Ways to Make Your Own Luck in The Film Industry
by on Jul 19, 2016 at 1:19:05 am

Business & Marketing
Seven Ways to Make Your Own Luck in The Film Industry

HBO Director of Workflow, post-house founder, owner of the first two RED cameras, founder and developer of Endcrawl, technologist, futurist, educator, and more: John 'Pliny' Eremic, is regularly asked for career advice in the field of filmmaking. Step One, he says, is to consider a new job. There's much more of course, delivered with Pliny's peerless wit, directness, and insight. Whether you're just starting in the business, or looking to break through to the next level, you won't want to miss this guide to making your own luck.

Feature   07/18/2016
Author: John "Pliny" Eremic

Return to posts index

jorge guerreroRe: Seven Ways to Make Your Own Luck in The Film Industry
by on Jul 20, 2016 at 7:46:33 pm

Hey Bob I read your post of seven ways,and agree with you,so far we know what the problem is,now is time for a solutions. I forget the count of how many times I worked for free,directing,editing or as camera man,until I decide to stop. Now I wrote a script,and Am in process of creating a good team and produce my fist long feature film with no budget and no resources. In my humble opinion there is 2 ways of do movies,one with big budget and resources from big studios and the other with knowledge of knowing what to do and help from people how are sincere and like to participate.
One solution to the problem may be get together and help each other.
Jorge

Jorge Guerrero is my real name

Return to posts index

Gary Huff@jorge guerrero
by on Jul 24, 2016 at 1:04:23 pm

"Am in process of creating a good team and produce my first long feature film with no budget and no resources. "

aka a complete waste of time.

Return to posts index

Matt GeierRe: Seven Ways to Make Your Own Luck in The Film Industry
by on Jul 25, 2016 at 6:26:02 pm

I don't generally post replies.

(that doesn't mean I don't watch keenly.)

This is great advice. Wonderful Article.

I started reading it, and I was gathering it in my mind, as if Bob Zellin were giving me advice on something.

It seemed harsh.....but then, sometimes the truth is harsh. That's one of the lesson of life.....it's hard, and harsh, and it gets rougher.

We have to have an outlook on it in a certain way, so we can overcome the challenges before us, and move on, do something new, or stay doing something we are best at.

Something else that really struck me after reading this article, was Bob's comment; "oh my God - I have nothing to say." So the fact that Bob was almost speechless, came as quite a surprise to someone like me!

Bob ALWAYS, has something to say.

Coming from someone who's never worked as an editor, or on any "real" production team, this advice would carry to anyone , not just a creative cow lurker like myself.

This article is so full of practical real life and truthful information, it's not full of crap.

I have had the privileges of working with people like Bob Zellin.

I remember the first time I called Bob Zellin and I was trying to sell him on Ethernet network adapters for Mac's, and mentioned that I was in the business of selling solutions that allowed people to "edit video in real-time" over Ethernet.

He told me in some colorful words, that I didn't know what I was talking about. (He should be able to vouch for that, I hope.) LOL

My point is that to the reader this was meant for........don't let people tell you that you don't know something........

The best advice you can garner from this read is that you have to have the balls, passion, and knowledge about your trade, to get out there, day in and day out, and PROVE IT TO YOURSELF.

I have. So the reader this article response was originally intended for, needs to do the same thing. I hope they gathered that.

Until you've proven to yourself you can do something.....well, at least until then, you can't.

Keep doing what you do you fine folks!

Return to posts index

Drew LahatRe: Seven Ways to Make Your Own Luck in The Film Industry
by on Jul 27, 2016 at 10:05:25 pm

I've been in post-production for over a decade, 8 years in L.A., and this article is dead on. Scary accurate. I think it should have gone in every more detail into the financial realities of freelance life, when it comes to pension, savings, and supporting a family.

Return to posts index

Hanna Lapott-NimmoRe: Seven Ways to Make Your Own Luck in The Film Industry
by on Aug 3, 2016 at 4:18:51 am

Good article. I read it twice. I graduated last year, moved from Poland all the way to California and now waiting for my employment authorization. Meanwhile i'm looking for some opportunities at local film commission to work for free as PA. Thank you for all the quality advises.

Return to posts index

Bob ZelinRe: Seven Ways to Make Your Own Luck in The Film Industry
by on Aug 3, 2016 at 10:43:40 pm

Hanna has more ambition than almost anyone on these forums.
Hanna - don't wait for the stupid film commission. Find a production company that you want to work for, contact them, and tell them you want to work for free. You will be working tomorrow. Make sure it is a legitimate company, and not some stupid independent film or student film company. Make your free labor mean something. Your experience doing this with a recognized company will get you further than your education. And if you are actually willing to work for free, you will find plenty of companies that are willing to bring you in.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]