BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Blog: Why Live Training Still Matters in the Internet Age

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
walter biscardiBlog: Why Live Training Still Matters in the Internet Age
by on Sep 26, 2013 at 9:44:20 pm

Never has so much information been so easily available to so many than today. Right here on this very site are literally MILLIONS of tidbits of information, nuggets of knowledge and full blown training products ready at a moment's notice. For the bulk of what we need to know in this industry, this information is invaluable. Especially when we're getting started with a new tool, knowing how and which buttons to push is the information we need to get us past "launch this tool."

But when it comes to the creative side of the industry, well that's better served in a communal setting. Sure there's things like Google Hangout, but there's nothing like being in the same room, the same space with other like minded individuals to bounce ideas back and forth. It's more organic and yields better results when you're actually face to face looking at the same screen, the same document, listening to the same audio.

I know when I work alone in an edit suite for too long, I lose a sense of "just how good is this thing." I love the collaboration of bringing in another editor or 2 or 3 or more and saying "look at this" and just hit play on the keyboard. No introduction, no anything, just "look at this." As soon as playback is over it turns into a natural discussion that covers everything from the sound to picture to text to graphics and whatever else was, or was not, on the screen. We always need that extra set of eyes and I find it most collaborative when all those eyes are in the same room bouncing ideas and looking at the same thing.

It's the same when it comes to creative training. Put 20 people in a room discussing green screen lighting for a while and you're going to end up with one heck of a discussion. Not just 20 avatars sharing text, but physically in a room where you can actually get up, move the lights around, move the cameras around, try techniques, share knowledge and so on. Now put 400 creatives in one location going all manner of workshops covering a wide range of topics and suddenly you have a HUGE knowledge bank all sharing and bouncing ideas in person, in realtime. Beyond the workshops there are the early morning coffee and breakfasts, the lunches, the evening dinners all which will lead to knowledge sharing. I see this every single year at NAB and it's one of the things I really love about that event. We just basically talk shop non-stop for four days and it's incredible how much knowledge you walk away with in that short of time.

This love of personal collaboration is one of the reasons I helped start the Atlanta Cutters User Group two years ago and why I was so excited when we came up with the idea for the Southeast Creative Summit. Yeah it's fun to converse via Twitter, Forums and Google+ but it's so much better to actually shake hands and swap stories. Of course when we started this concept, I never dreamed we have an Academy Award winner, Emmy winners, Peabody winners and more leading the workshops at the Summit, but it has happened. So not only do we get to hang out with each other at the workshops, the coffee shop, at dinner, but we get face to face time with some absolutely amazing industry icons.

Sure it's convenient to just be an avatar and hang out virtually with folks, but man it's so much better to hang with real people. So get off the couch, come out from behind your computer and get out there. Network with REAL people. Shake some REAL hands. Get to know the people in your neighborhood and around the block. If you own a company, in many states, like here in Georgia, you can get tax write-offs for sending your folks to seminars and workshops.

May I humbly suggest you start at the Southeast Creative Summit? October 25-27 here in Atlanta and only $495 for all three days with the code creativecow2013. Well actually it's only $449 with that code through Saturday night, Sept. 28th.

May I also humbly suggest the Atlanta Creative Ball on October 26th with a raffle over $26,000 and counting. You can meet the Founders of, Ron and Kathlyn Lindeboom and meet our Keynote Presenters Josh and Jason Diamond.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved