BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Blog: OMG - 200 blog posts

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike CohenBlog: OMG - 200 blog posts
by on Mar 30, 2013 at 4:35:18 am

I suppose if I were reviewing cameras or software or tutorials or writing books and posting excerpts my numbers could be even higher. But I generally don't do those things - I talk about my job, travel, hobbies and life. And between you and me, writing 200 articles/entries/whatever you want to call them, is a lot.

I joined Creative COW on the day it opened for business. At the time I was a Media 100 user and the Media 100 tech support was pretty unsupportive. Within a few months, the COW had become an invaluable resource for tech support, often providing answers faster than our paid support contract.

Over the years as we and the rest of the world have gone completely digital (when we first got into NLE we were still shooting BetaSP and gradually evolved to DVCPRO, mini-DV, DVCAM, HDV and finally tapeless formats aplenty), the COW has remained the definitive place to get answers. Inevitably if you Google a problem, the COW is one of the top results.

On a few occasions I have searched for a particular problem only to be directed to an earlier post by myself asking and sometimes solving my own problem a year or more ago.

Through my interactions and eventual moderation duties on a few forums I have met numerous others who I would consider my friends, although I have not met nor spoken by voice with most of them. But here in 2013 I think you can in fact be friends without having ever met.

I have met and even hired a few fellow COWS. And when I need a reliable camera crew anywhere in the world, the COW is the first place I look.

In 2008 I was invited to write an article about surgical video for the recently conceived Creative COW Magazine. Working with Tim Wilson, the article was printed and was a big thrill. A while later an electronic expanded version was posted online and the comments were quite touching.

More recently I have followed up the article with a few detailed blog entries to keep the story going.

Almost as thrilling has been seeing a few blog entries turned into online-only magazine articles, including my review of The Hobbit, a discussion of interview setups and most recently "What Star Wars Means to Me" which was a lifetime in the making.

So while this prose seems to be all about Creative COW, it is also all about me and my journey from student to intern to production assistant to junior editor to senior editor to project manager to team leader and director, and the evolution and acquisition of skills and experience along the way. I have had a great way to share some of these themes right here on this blog and to perhaps impart some wisdom or at least help to peers and to those just entering the business via the forums.

With much appreciation to Ron, Kathlyn, Tim, Abraham, Debra and all the elves working behind the scenes to keep the COW mooing, I say with a cheer and a smile...thanks for reading.

And now to figure out what else I can write about...

Mike Cohen

PS - I am posting this in the Business and Marketing forum as this was the first forum I really got involved with on a daily basis, and like the Cantina in Mos Eisley, it is where the best pilots can be found.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved