BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Blog: Cine-Med announces our new and improved company website

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike CohenBlog: Cine-Med announces our new and improved company website
by on Dec 14, 2011 at 7:54:05 pm

A bit of shameless self-promotion here.

Taking some hints from this very Creative COW website and numerous focus groups, we've launched the newly improved cine-med.com.

Our company differs from the many production houses in that...we are not simply a production house. Our website is primarily our e-store (books, videos, events) and we happen to make much of what we sell - and secondarily a way to learn about some of our services (publishing, medical illustration, surgical video, multimedia and web development, event management, CME). In fact many of our products and services combine two or more of these services as dictated by the client, the deliverable or both.

Then there are the services we do in pure production house mode which do not become products for sale - they are used by the customer. Often, the customized work uses any or all of the services we offer and may include not only multi-media but multi-deliverable (DVD, website, mobile app, live event (hotel ballroom or live surgical procedure (point to point or multi-cast)).

More Cine-Med adventures coming in 2012.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Mark StuartRe: Cine-Med announces our new and improved company website
by on Dec 15, 2011 at 8:56:10 pm

Hi Mike!

Looked at a couple of your videos, nice work! How long did it take to have that content not bother you? Wow, that's gotta hurt!

Happy Holidays!

Mark

Mark A. Stuart
Producer/Director/Editor
Madison, Wisconsin
USA

Return to posts index

Mike CohenRe: Cine-Med announces our new and improved company website
by on Dec 15, 2011 at 9:24:22 pm

only takes a few surgeries before you feel like you can do them yourself - you should see me carve a turkey!

Thanks for the nice comments

Mike

Return to posts index

Nick GriffinRe: Cine-Med announces our new and improved company website
by on Dec 15, 2011 at 10:58:21 pm

[Mike Cohen] "you should see me carve a turkey!"

Okay, after watching some of the videos that comment has me ready to loose the cookies. (And this time of year that can be a significant amount of cookies.)

Return to posts index

Max KaiserRe: Cine-Med announces our new and improved company website
by on Dec 16, 2011 at 6:35:50 am

Mike,

Thanks for posting!

One thing that is really interesting to me, and would be great to have more info on in this forum, is how did you actually get into owning your own material? How were the relationships formed? How did you choose the medical niche? What are the contracts like? Do you actually share ownership with the hospitals and clinics you shoot in? Is it very lucrative?

Ownership to me seems like a very, very good addition to a services-based business like most of ours are.

Thanks,
Max

Max Kaiser
Director
Hand Crank Films
http://www.handcrankfilms.com

Various Intel
FCP 7
OS 10.5
RED/XDCAM/7D

Return to posts index

Mark HalloranRe: Cine-Med announces our new and improved company website
by on Dec 16, 2011 at 1:18:09 pm

How were the relationships formed? Is it very lucrative?

I have been working in medical communications for the past 20 years. Although I am not familiar with Mike or Cine-Med, I hope that I can shed a bit of light on your two questions. I am the VP of e-learning for a large system of teaching hospitals.

We are constantly bombarded by former "broadcast professionals" and event videographers "looking to get into medical work. Many are under the mistaken impression that they can quickly enter our "very lucrative" niche. The reality is that companies like Cine-Med and the ones from whom we buy courses and production services have spent years (if not decades) earning their credibility. Most work with medical animators who have master's degrees in medical illustration. Or imaging pros with expertise in microscopy. Or a number of other specialties.

For those who have a passion for the sciences and the patience to cultivate skills and relationships, this CAN be a very satisfying field. I don't know Mike, but can tell that he and his company have invested years, money, and energy-- probably with little or no assurance of a "very lucrative" pay day.

The good news is that our field is constantly changing-- and demand for new continuing education videos and other multimedia is not going away. The not-so-good news is that our budgets are diminishing.

Return to posts index

Mike CohenRe: Cine-Med announces our new and improved company website
by on Dec 16, 2011 at 3:20:35 pm

Well stated Mark H. Like any business you don't just jump in - we are a 30 year old company and the founder was in the business for 20 years before that.

But to go back Max's questions...your questions contain the answers and are applicable whether you shoot surgeries, weddings, taco commercials or product reviews.

You pick a niche based upon experience, research or both, you invest resources, you hire the right people and you never stop seeking out opportunities, creating relationships and working hard.

Speaking of which...back to work!

Mike

Return to posts index

Max KaiserRe: Cine-Med announces our new and improved company website
by on Dec 18, 2011 at 12:41:23 am

Thanks for responding, Mark, Mike.

I think I may have phrased what I was looking for incorrectly, as I was looking for specifics regarding how the process of getting ownership video production is handled, rather than looking for work in the med field. We have done plenty of surgery video (not NEARLY as much as Mike); it's not something that I had imagined getting into further. And you are spot on about the quality of people that do this type of work, Mark - they work hard, as we all do, and produce great work - as we all hope to. As for is "it very lucrative?", what I meant to say was are you able to sell a lot of copies of what you make? With distribution channels changing by the minute via YouTube, Google, VOD, etc. I imagine this is getting trickier. This is not the field for the "quick buck" - that I know all too well. But to what degree do you have to risk "spec" production, etc. is what I'm interested in. Either way, I have a ton more questions, and this post was about Mike's site, and not about ownership video production. I will search the other posts and see if my questions are answered there (something I neglected to do only because I was so interested in the process of what Mike was doing and "leapt before looking"), and if I don't find it, I will make a specific post regarding this, with more specific questions.

I should note: your points regarding the amount of time these relationships take, and the amount of time it takes to develop a library of work like this are very well taken.

Again, Mike, it is a great site!

Thanks again,
Max

Max Kaiser
Director
Hand Crank Films
http://www.handcrankfilms.com

Still Rockin' FCP 7, thinking about Premiere
OS 10.7
EPIC/7D/5D

Return to posts index

walter biscardiRe: Blog: Cine-Med announces our new and improved company website
by on Dec 23, 2011 at 12:54:50 pm

Congrats Mike. Very nicely done.

It is amazing how quickly you can get past the "ick" factor when it comes to medical content. We've been doing global health news and documentaries for years now and while at first you cringe, after a while you're eating lunch while watching 3 foot worms being extracted from people.

Best on continued success!

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"This American Land" - our new PBS Series.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Steve WargoRe: Blog: Cine-Med announces our new and improved company website
by on Dec 26, 2011 at 7:01:03 am

Recently flew to Marion, Indiana to shoot a Lipo Suction. You should see what they call a "Strawberry Milkshake".

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Ask me how to Market Yourself using Send Out Cards

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]