BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Blog: Comfort Zones and Other Musings

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike CohenBlog: Comfort Zones and Other Musings
by on May 4, 2011 at 12:43:23 am

Make a list of what you do well, what you could do better and what you need to learn how to do from scratch.

Do what you do well and keep doing it.

Find something you need to get better at and do more of it.

Do things that are outside your comfort zone - at first you will struggle, but then you will become better and better and eventually be willing to take on tasks that you used to avoid.

Divide and Conquer. To do lists are daunting. Write things on a white board or back of an envelope, then cross off tasks you have completed. A magic marker = satisfaction. (note to self, make sure magic marker is erasable before applying to white board.)

Delayed gratification. Do the hard things first and save the fun things for later as a reward for your hard work.

Don't live and die by the next email. Check it occasionally.

Likewise, don't use email for urgent matters. If you must get someone's attention and picking up the phone is not convenient, do a text message or IM. But if you don't get a response, try again, or try an alternate form of communication. Urgent matters need not be perceived as ignored if you use the wrong method of delivery.

Clean up your email subject line. Change "FWD: RE: RE: RE: Sales figures" to "RE: Sales figures - March data needed". The former is vague. The latter is specific and tells the recipient what you want without even opening the message.

Don't send huge attachments. Many corporate email servers have a limit on the number of messages and size of data. Use a large file sharing service. I subscribed to one for $40 a year. And people can use it to send me files too.

Heck, I could write a few paragraphs about each of the above thoughts. But that's enough for now. Use what you want, discard the rest, to each his own.

Go forth and multiply.

For reading, I thank you.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Don WalkerRe: Comfort Zones and Other Musings
by on May 4, 2011 at 5:22:18 am

Awesome Mike. As a 50 year old editor who wonders if the world has passed him by, this was inspiring All you entries are very well written and entertaining.

don walker
texarkana, texas

John 3:16

Return to posts index

Mike CohenRe: Comfort Zones and Other Musings
by on May 4, 2011 at 2:28:01 pm

Don, Thanks for reading and the nice comment.
While I only used the CMX 3500 (?) and Sony 9000 a little, my old reliable was the ACE 25. The main system had a 4 channel audio mixer controlled with the shuttle wheel. This must have been one of the first DAWs. Never used a D2 machine - does MII count?

Return to posts index

Steve WargoRe: Comfort Zones and Other Musings
by on May 11, 2011 at 4:45:33 am

M-II. !!! The bastard child...

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Ask me how to Market Yourself using Send Out Cards