BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Blog: It might be one of the best industry trade magazine issues, ever

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ronald LindeboomBlog: It might be one of the best industry trade magazine issues, ever
by on Sep 22, 2010 at 10:13:31 pm

The newest issue of Creative COW Magazine explores the idea of Divergence in acquisition, production, and distribution in broadcasting. Gone are the days when the Big 3 networks -- CBS, NBC and ABC -- could count on the audience coming to them. Now, the networks are addressing issues of shrinking audiences, rapidly expanding production modalities and issues, and a proliferation of devices that take television out of the Big-Box-at-Home and into the hands of the audience who wants it everywhere, anywhere, all the time, and on their terms.

In one of our very best stories ever, longtime COW host and one of the people responsible for, Robert Longwell, looks at how ABC Television is taking their programming where the audience is. It is one of my favorite Creative COW Magazine articles ever, and it should prove to be an audience favorite, as well. Robert explores behind-the-scenes ideas and techniques that are making one of the must-have destinations for users of a myriad of devices that are taking television outside the home.

A few years back, we did an issue entitled "Portable Media." It was a huge success and it has proven to be one of our most popular issues. The "Divergence Issue" is even better and takes the idea of portable media and other new technologies that are creating true market "divergence," into areas that are far beyond what was imagined even just three years ago when we created the Portable Media issue.

But this new issue is far more than just portable media and if you take the time to read its great articles, we guarantee you that it will be time well spent.

So, visit and see what is happening inside ABC, and also many other teams who are hard at work to meet the challenges and demands of today's rapidly changing audience.

Return to posts index

Mike CohenRe: Blog: It might be one of the best industry trade magazine issues, ever
by on Sep 22, 2010 at 11:01:51 pm

I found the article about ABC's video efforts perhaps the most fascinating read yet. I particularly liked how the author said "tape is much more reliable than a digital file - either there is video on the tape or there isn't." It is nice to see articles that feature pictures of video decks!

I also liked the line about "using a vendor teaches you how to sign checks" - ABC certainly has the checkbook to use an iPad app developer, but they used in-house talent to learn - trial by fire is a tenet of the media business.

But the whole issue is full of workflow and organizational ideas that we can all use. Well done.

Mike Cohen

Medical Education / Multimedia Producer

Return to posts index

Rich RubaschRe: Blog: It might be one of the best industry trade magazine issues, ever
by on Sep 24, 2010 at 3:31:26 pm

So I'm just kind of reading over Ron's description of the article and it's not really registering and then it hit me.

He said Divergence. What a second....that's a whole different thing. All this time I had been reading it as Convergence, a term that has been around for some time.

Divergence, 'eh?

Gonna have to ponder that one Saturday morning over a cup of my favorite brew, a danish and the Creative Cow magazine...

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production and Post

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved