BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Non-webcam as webcam

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd TerryNon-webcam as webcam
by on Apr 26, 2016 at 8:07:39 pm

So totally off forum topic, and I should probably ask this on the Web Streaming forum (and I still might) but there seems to be little to no activity over there, though I'd thought I'd ask in here first. This seems to be my personal go-to know-it-all forum... not that that's a bad thing, I think.

I'm wanting to do some live streaming, via YouTube, but using an external video camera (not a webcam).

I've researched a bit on how to use an external camera as a webcam, and there seem to be a fair number of devices that can be used to do that... which seem to range from medium expensive to really expensive.

I don't want to be one of those "What's very cheapest way to do this?" guys, but my question is... what's the very cheapest way to do this?

Anyone have any ideas or experience with this?

I'm going kinda low-end with my expectations because this is a use-it-once-a-year for a couple of hours for a totally personal thing... not a professional work thing.

The quick backstory... and unlike my usual self I am planning six months out. We do a big Halloween extravaganza at my house each year, a bunch of things to scare trick-or-treaters.

I have a four-camera IR security system that I use to watch everything from my command center inside, and I thought It would be fun to stream this. Our neighborhood has a social media group that would enjoy it.

The security system has VGA, HDMI, and composite video out. If I could find an inexpensive way to feed the HDMI signal to a laptop as if it was the webcam signal, everything would be easy as pie.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks as always.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Steve KownackiRe: Non-webcam as webcam
by on Apr 26, 2016 at 9:08:40 pm

Todd,
Livestream is a free encoder https://livestream.com/producer/software and use it with a Blackmagic input device. I use the BM Mini studio Recorders via thunderbolt on a mac. I now use Wirecast Pro for all the features, but for simple stuff Livestream is great.

Steve

Return to posts index

Todd TerryRe: Non-webcam as webcam
by on Apr 26, 2016 at 9:21:41 pm

Yeah I think that was the first one I looked at. I'm not trying to be a cheapskate but the Blackmagic device was a lot more expensive than I was willing to spend just to share the video stream with the neighborhood as a freebie... I was hoping there was a bargain-basement way to ingest an HDMI signal as if it was a webcam.

The almost-free Plan B would be to just stick a 10-buck webcam on the porch... but the feed from the security system would be much better... I can do quad screen or isolate any of the cameras at will.

I'm probably wishing for something that doesn't exist (or rather, doesn't exist at the price-point I'm willing to do). If so, that's cool, this is just a miniscule "value added" part of the festivities and I can abandon it without losing a wink of sleep. But it'd be cool if it worked.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy DoyleRe: Non-webcam as webcam
by on Apr 26, 2016 at 9:52:00 pm

Have you talked to your editor yet?

My guess would be that you would have some sort of IO device in your office that would work.

I use a BM intensity card for live streaming, although I have a portable desktop machine that is set up for it.

Jeremy Doyle
http://www.jeremydoyle.com

Return to posts index

by on Apr 26, 2016 at 10:00:41 pm

[Jeremy Doyle] "Have you talked to your editor yet?"

Well, you're talking to him. Or, one of them.

No, we only have pro-level stuff here, nothing that would allow an HMDI signal to be ingested into a computer via USB. And nothing that is not permanently installed in one of my suites, which I'm not taking apart... the only I/O devices here are the rack-mounted Matrox MXO2 and AXIO LE hardware in each suite. This is just not something I ever have to do at work.

Just looking for a cheapie at-home solution.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Craig SeemanRe: Non-webcam as webcam
by on Apr 28, 2016 at 7:10:31 pm

[Todd Terry] "I'm wanting to do some live streaming, via YouTube, but using an external video camera (not a webcam).
"

Wirecast Play for YouTube. If only a single source just $10 to remove the watermark in the lower left.
http://www.telestream.net/wirecastplay/landing.htm
Blackmagic Ultrastudio MiniRecorder SDI and HDMI to Thunderbolt for $138
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/892453-REG/Blackmagic_Design_bdlkulsd...

Return to posts index

by on Apr 28, 2016 at 7:42:46 pm

Thanks Craig... yeah I think the Blackmagic and Magewell ($300) gadgets were the first things I looked at... I was hoping I could find a solution for a fairly small fraction of that price. I don't mind spending even big money for work things, but this is only a little just-for-fun one-time home thing.

I think the Blackmagic recorder is Thunderbolt only, the last time I even touched an Apple product was when helping someone move an old Mac years ago... all PC here.

I may have found a 10-buck standard-def-only solution... it's not the HDMI-to-USB thing which would be ideal, but is component video.... still it is more than good enough for what I need (if it works). It's a cheap gamble, I'll know when it arrives in a few days.

Thanks!

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Craig SeemanRe: Non-webcam as webcam
by on Apr 28, 2016 at 8:05:56 pm
Last Edited By Craig Seeman on Apr 28, 2016 at 8:07:43 pm

[Todd Terry] "I think the Blackmagic recorder is Thunderbolt only, the last time I even touched an Apple product was when helping someone move an old Mac years ago... all PC here.
"

Several PCs are using Thunderbolt and, in fact, there are already PCs using Thunderbolt 3 which is not yet on any Mac. I think most of the better Asus gaming laptops have Thunderbolt and HP is using it in some of their laptop "workstation" models. Asus also sells motherboards with Thunderbolt if you're a DIY computer builder.

If you want dirt cheap you can probably can an ElGato game capture device
https://www.elgato.com/en
and and Windows laptop running the free OBS software.

Or perhaps you can get Telestream Gameshow which is subscription software, for just a month. It streams to YouTube and Twitch. $9/mo.
http://www.gameshow.net/pricing.htm

So cost of software is obviously not an issue since nothing should cost you more than $10.
Game capture hardware is cheapest but you have to make sure the software is compatible.
As you know "cheap" always comes at a price.

Return to posts index

Ned MillerRe: Non-webcam as webcam
by on Apr 29, 2016 at 12:43:54 am

Check out this for $400:

https://getmevo.com

Ned Miller
Chicago Videographer
http://www.nedmiller.com

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Non-webcam as webcam
by on May 2, 2016 at 9:59:06 pm

Sorry I'm late to the party; been on the road shooting at prisons.

I'd say scan converter with HDMI out. Maybe an AJA T-Tap. Or a Hall Research. Tigerdirect, Monoprice or Markertek must have a scan converter with HDMI out for cheap these days.

BTW, off topic but Monoprice is getting into a lot more things these days including some impressive yet bargain-priced electric guitars.

Return to posts index

by on May 18, 2016 at 8:16:41 pm

Just wanted to let everyone know how this turned out...

Because I didn't need really great great quality... I gave this a try. It's a little USB dongle called EasyCap.

I bought it on eBay for about five bucks...

It actually works like a charm. It has composite and S-video inputs along with audio. Standard-def only but in my case that will be more than enough. Used the trial version of WireCast to encode, I'll pay the ten bucks to lose the watermark when I really need it.

I just did a little testcast on YouTube streaming live camera from my C300 and it worked like a charm.

Not the highest of high-end, but I more than got my five bucks' worth for this little project.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Al BergsteinRe: Non-webcam as webcam
by on Jul 2, 2016 at 4:57:24 am

hi Todd just finding out about this thread now. All the answers are correct, and the one that you came up with is one that I also use to import VHS tape's into my Mac . I never thought of using it as a webcast device since this is an input device . I didn't think it of it as an output device, using it to input from something else and then output via streaming media. Most of the time I'm using wire cast and black magic expensive stuff but gets me high quality HDMI . Great find though ! i'll keep that in the back of my mind for a Hat Trick some time !

Al

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]