BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Contacted to License my footage

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Bryan
Contacted to License my footage
on Mar 2, 2016 at 3:00:09 pm

Hello,

I've been contacted by a company to license some old footage I shot of the Hay Adams Hotel in Washington DC for a wedding. The company wants to use exterior shots of the hotel for a feature film. I have never looked into licensing my footage, nor have I ever licensed anyone else's footage. Can anyone tell me what a fair price for a few seconds of an exterior of a hotel would be? Legally, what do I need to do? Do I need to get a release from the hotel? Anything else that I'm probably not aware of that I need to be on the lookout for?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Contacted to License my footage
on Mar 2, 2016 at 3:56:32 pm

What would you charge to go out and shoot that footage today?

Return to posts index

Chris Bryan
on Mar 2, 2016 at 4:25:51 pm

Well DC, is a two hour drive for me, so I'd probably charge $800-$1000.00. I don't think that's really an accurate way to price this as I've already shot the footage, been paid for it and done the work. I've seen some places list $100 per second of footage used which sounds pretty reasonable. Basically I was hoping to get insight from people who have licensed footage to know what a good quote would be.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 3, 2016 at 12:02:21 am

The reason I ask what it cost to shoot originally is, pricing a clip involves setting a price that's profitable for you, but not so high that they might as well skip you and go get it themselves. If you say it cost 800 to go get it, you could ask for anything up to, say, $500, and they'll probably go for it for the convenience of not having to go get it themselves... And obviously, if your shot is the only one of that specific thing that will ever exist - then you can ask whatever you want.

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on Mar 2, 2016 at 8:41:28 pm

Clearance from the hotel will be needed because that is someone else's property / marketing image. But rather than you going through the time and hassle why not have that as something the movie using your footage has to arrange? Obtaining clearances is something many film makers have to deal with on a fairly regular basis.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]