BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Football championship ads reviewed

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark SuszkoFootball championship ads reviewed
by on Feb 8, 2016 at 5:05:08 am

I found this year's spots more disappointing than many past years.

The worst and best ads, IMO, aired in succession: worst: a toenail fungus spot starring retired football players in a hidden mani-pedi spa. The best was the Kia spot with Chris Walken, because.... you don't need a reason when you have Walken. However, you CAN "waste" the opportunity of having a Walken, but this spot carefully modulated itself and came across great.

I liked the Jeep montage spots; gorgeous and evocative imagery, coupled with poetic narrative, a series that built and grew over the game.

The Prius "Bank Job" spot got my vote as well, partly for being shot all around Chicago. But it also had a lot of tiny but good story "moments" in it. My son said it reminded him of Blues Brothers crossed with Forrest Gump.

I liked the Weiner dogs for Heinz, though it's a one-note joke.

Doritos spot was tasteless, Mountain Dew's mutant pet thing was a hot mess.

From a marketing standpoint, I respected the Wix website builder ad's fusion and cross-promotion with Kung Fu Panda 3.

The sheep singing Queen was a little amusing, but I don't think it really works to sell the idea of the usefulness or fun of of bed-mounted speakers in the truck, and there's always the chance your customers will think you're thinking they are sheep.

The Shick razor animations, where the razors are transformers, was fun.

As far as the halftime: liked the light show, very entertaining, but at my house, the audio was terribly muffled and had way too much ambient background mixed in versus the clean mic feeds.

The CBS 360-degree holographic effect was visually arresting, but they kept the effect on such a wide shot that I don't think it really helped viewers see or understand a play. Good job on the camera direction otherwise; nice timing of reactions, cut-aways, detail shots, following the action.

Return to posts index

Jeremy GarchowRe: Football championship ads reviewed
by on Feb 8, 2016 at 2:47:22 pm

Along with Kia, this was my favorites:

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Football championship ads reviewed
by on Feb 8, 2016 at 7:16:15 pm

I believe it's a call-back to the Ed Sullivan Rolling Stones dust-up, when the Stones were asked to change "Let's Spend the Night Together" to "Spend Some Time together".

Jeep's montages and narratives were very, very strong.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved