BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Sony BVH-2000

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rich RubaschSony BVH-2000
by on Jan 14, 2016 at 4:52:28 am

Hi all;

Does anyone recall the approximate price of a new BVH-2000 1" tape machine back in the late 1980's or early 1990's?

Thx!

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Patric FavreauRe: Sony BVH-2000
by on Jan 14, 2016 at 5:07:52 pm

Hi, it was around 60 000$ to 80 000$ with the options.

Return to posts index

Todd TerryRe: Sony BVH-2000
by on Jan 14, 2016 at 6:23:31 pm

Seriously?? I thought they were three times that. I was probably misinformed.

Nick's story is not a singular one... about 5-10 years ago you could get a one-inch machine for nothing. You used to regularly see them listed for the price of "you come and pick it up."

I toyed with getting one, as about once a year someone calls wanting to know if we can handle 1" tape. BUT... they were a bear to keep running, parts are nonexistent, and I wasn't willing to give up the considerable real estate that they take up.

The last call I got asking if we had a machine was from the local NASA center here. They were among those who had given away or simply trashed every single one of their machines... before realizing they had a warehouse full of 1" archives that they now had no way to play.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Patric FavreauRe: Sony BVH-2000
by on Jan 14, 2016 at 6:34:16 pm

It's "funny" because I use to have calls for that format, so I bought one more than 1 year ago. I've done one transfer job with it and since then, no inquiries for that format anymore... The job barely paid for the machine.

Return to posts index

Nick GriffinRe: Sony BVH-2000
by on Jan 15, 2016 at 10:06:52 pm

Oh yea. and the one time I got everything hooked up and turned it on I was quickly reminded why in it's day they had "machine rooms" separate from where one was working.

Could have spent the money to get it fully up and running, but it was more fun as an antique. That and, in thinking about it, I really didn't want to see the stuff I was doing in the 80's.

Return to posts index

Nick GriffinRe: Sony BVH-2000
by on Jan 14, 2016 at 6:18:48 pm

What a coincidence I just had one as an "antique" in my office when it was destroyed by fire. It went well with the old radios and Edison cylinder player. Earlier I sold an RCA 44DX ribbon microphone which had been sitting atop one of the radios when I found out I could get more than $1,000 for it. Hmmm, tough choice: a cute antique mic or a $1,000. Glad I took the money.

Here's how a got the Sony deck: About ten years ago a friend who ran a production facility called me and said "It's yours, if you want it and are willing to move it. Otherwise it's going in the dumpster." (along with a lot of other gear from that genre.)

Return to posts index

Rich RubaschRe: Sony BVH-2000
by on Jan 14, 2016 at 9:41:25 pm

Well I just opened Tilt Digital and we transfer old tape formats to digital formats among many other things. But we have a huge library of old agency spot reels and direct corporate reels. One of the clients has around 600 tapes from D2 and MII and 1" to Digi Beta and 3/4" and agreed to have us convert them all to quicktime movies for them...almost $20k of work, and that's just one of the clients in the library.

Not saying it's a gold mine because it is running time and in realtime and will eventually run out.

Here's the site:

http://www.tiltdigitalinc.com

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.

Return to posts index

Bob ZelinRe: Sony BVH-2000
by on Jan 16, 2016 at 10:02:10 pm

hence my aggravation on these forums.

A BVH-2000 was in fact $60 - $80,000, and of course, you needed THREE of them to do a simple dissolve from VTR A to VTR B (and record it on VTR C).

If you told anyone on these forums (damn kids) that anything cost $80,000 - their entire facility, including all their software, all their computers, all their Macs, all their desks, their couches, their phone systems, and their first year rent would cost $80,000, they would say FOR GET IT. But alas, we have posters saying "I am looking at this drive that costs $110, but I can get another brand for $90 each, is it really worth it" -
That is why I have gone crazy. When I started to build 3/4" linear edit rooms in the 80's and the cost was "only" $250,000 compared to the $500,000 to a million for one of these rooms in NY, people said "wow, how can Bob do it for so cheap".

So the fact that my weekend cocktail costs more than the difference of what the "professionals" want to pay these days - well, what can I say anymore.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Andrew KimeryRe: Sony BVH-2000
by on Jan 20, 2016 at 9:42:13 pm

[Bob Zelin] "If you told anyone on these forums (damn kids) that anything cost $80,000..."

I don't have as many miles as you do Bob, but I still remember being amazed when Avid released the Adrenalines for 'only' $25,000. And then a few years later they released MC as software only (OMG!) and it was 'only' $5,000 (double OMG!).

Now I have Avid, FCP 7, FCP X, Premiere Pro, Resolve and Lightworks on my off the shelf, desktop computer and collectively all 6 of those NLEs today cost less than $5,000.

Return to posts index

Rich RubaschRe: Sony BVH-2000 - There's always this Bob
by on Jan 26, 2016 at 9:48:33 pm

http://blog.phantamedia.com/the-biggest-misconception-about-video-productio...

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Sony BVH-2000 - There's always this Bob
by on Jan 27, 2016 at 1:51:37 pm

Or, as Red Adair famously said:

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]